9 | A Hostage Princess

Start from the beginning

Dai Yichen's jaw slackened with surprise, but composed himself almost immediately. "As you wish."

The carriage stopped, and the pair stepped out. An immense crowd of spectators greeted them, and most of them were praising their lord. But much to her surprise, Dai Yichen descended the steps first and turned to hold out his hand towards her. Showing that he wanted to escort her in front of everyone like a dutiful husband he was.

She almost snorted. Fortunately, she was wearing a veil that concealed her face. "I'm fine, my lord. I can handle this."

He remained adamant, but his tone softened slightly. "I insist. Please take my hand."

With the way he was acting, he wanted to show his people that the war was over and the Xia clan wouldn't invade their land, just as he had told her before.

And Luwen had agreed to perform her part. "Thank you, my lord."

With his help, she descended the steps, and they entered the tavern together with their subordinates. The size of the place was impressive and grand. Fresh flowers adorned the tables as guests dined on savory dishes and decadent desserts served by the tavern's workers.

An escort ushered them to a private room that was on the second floor, where Dai Yichen left her with his right-hand man, Yerong. "Watch over her. I'll be in the next room."

The latter grinned broadly. "Yes, my lord, I will take care of your wife and protect her."

There was something in his tone that indicated he was teasing the lord, who immediately frowned at his expression. "What's with that look of yours?"

"This face of mine? I was born this way. Leave me be and leave quickly."

Luwen grew stunned as Dai Yichen let out a sigh. "Don't you slack off."

Yerong's grin widened. "I would never dare to imagine it, my lord."

Their exchange was friendly, almost like a banter, and Luwen knew they weren't sharing a relationship of just a lord and a subordinate.

As soon as Dai Yichen stepped away and they entered the private room, Yerong immediately turned to her excitedly. "It's a pleasure to meet you, my lady. I've always wanted to speak to you."

"Me?" His warm attitude confused her. Most of the time, people would avoid her. "Why is that so?"

His tone remained quirky and lighthearted. "Because you're the lady who leaped through fire and dug graves. The lord carried you back to the manor, and you managed to hold a conversation with him for more than an hour at the banquet yesterday. Those are impressive feats."

Even though Yerong looked similar in age to the lord, he had the spirit of a young child. "I'm confused. What are you implying here?"

He leaned towards her. "I think that you two are sharing a secret. Hopefully something's that embarrassing about the lord?"

Luwen burst out laughing. "I do not know any of the lord's embarrassing secrets. I'm sorry to disappoint you, Yerong."

The man was disappointed. "Strange," he mumbled thoughtfully. "As far as I know, Dai Yichen has never behaved this way around a woman before. He loves his sword and only worships his beloved older brother. However, he kept asking me to watch over you on this trip today."

Hearing that the lord was concerned about her safety made her rethink the person he was. "It's because of the truce," she explained with a sad smile. "But aren't you afraid of me, Yerong?"

The man chuckled. "I've seen and heard about you for days. I do not think you're as vicious as the rumors depicted you to be. You didn't choose to be the daughter of a matriarch. If the lord is speaking to you, it must mean he believes the same. You're a victim of the war too."

His words confounded her. Affecting her in ways she would have never imagined before. She knew he spoke the truth, but to have someone point it out for her made her finally believe it.

Dai Yichen was the lord of his clan, and yet, he wasn't anything like the matriarch.

He was a good man.

While Luwen was lost in thought, Yerong asked the tavern staff to bring the best dishes and hire the city's most talented musician to entertain her. She had the best view from the second-floor window and got engrossed in the performance soon after. Beautiful dancers flowed onto the stage, their bodies executing a cacophony of graceful movements.

Awestruck, Luwen gradually relaxed. Ever since she arrived at the City of Embers, she was constantly on guard. Expecting anyone to kill her in a blink of an eye. However, Yerong was guarding her back. She didn't trust him entirely, but he didn't seem like a threat to her at the moment.

The matriarch wasn't here. Luwen didn't need to care about her mission now.

She could be herself here.

For a long time, she enjoyed the performance, which transitioned from a dance stage to a musical performance. She was so engrossed that she could barely hear the door to her room creaking open suddenly.

Someone rushed into their room and Yerong leaped to his feet, going on guard immediately.

He frowned at the tiny figure that barely reached his waist. "A child?"

Luwen's attention snapped to where he was looking, and she rose from her seat. "It's alright, Yerong," she assured him, before glancing down at the boy. "Come here, child. Who are you? Where are your parents?"

Undaunted, the boy approached her, looking around eight years old. "They're talking to their friends and I'm bored," he said.

In his hands, he carried several colorful paper cranes he had folded and slipped one into her hands. "Here, I made this. A paper crane for a beautiful princess."

"Thank you. That's really kind of you–"

Her voice faltered, her body going stiff. A sense of familiarity hit her as she relieved her past; a girl who ran errands for the matriarch and delivered messages to important people, sometimes through the use of paper cranes or food.

With trembling hands, Luwen turned away from Yerong and unfolded the red paper crane. Just as she expected, there was a message written to her.

"Stay out of the way, or you'll be killed."

Luwen inhaled sharply.

It was the matriarch. Somehow, she had already caught on to the news that Dai Yichen would take Luwen around the city today.

And she was planning an ambush.