A future of uncertainty;-

Twelve years later, Maria sold charcoal in kampala in namuwongo market to support her girls' future dreams. The income was meager but she was determined to end the poverty circle. She earned as little as ten thousand shillings a day. Thanks to the government they had been allocated a free house in which they could settle away from the war.

Having grown into a tall twelve year old, Juliet had sat her primary leaving examinations, and she awaited the results that were a gateway into secondary education. They would determine her continuity in education. Failing them meant that she was not eligible for secondary education, but rather vocational. If she wanted to achieve her dream of becoming a doctor, then she had to attain a secondary education.

Like any other primary seven leaving student around the country, Juliet eagerly awaited the results of the examinations. Maria was more anxious about the results than her daughter. She worried more about the  hefty fees she would have to pay for her to join senior one. Where would she get from the over one million shongs required? These and many other questions robbed the fifty five year old mother of any sleep she had.

She had two options. If Lorna was to proceed for her certificate, Juliet had to stay home for at least two years before joining secondary. Or if it were the other way round, it meant that Lorna had to wait. It was impossible. How could she wait, yet she held the keys to their financial freedom in her hands? She had placed the hopes of Juliet's education in her hands. It meant that she would pay for her to complete her two year course while Juliet waited. She would wait until she started earning to start out secondary education.

Maria's hands supported her chin as she sat hunched on an old couch she had for a sitting room sofa. She was on the verge of tears when a happy Juliet ran in, resting on her laps. She was curious. All that her daughter did was laugh non stop. She caressed her her arms lightly,"what is making you so happy?"

Juliet laughed."I am so happy, mummy. The radio presenter said that our results will be released on Monday morning."
" I am so excited. I cannot wait to start secondary!"

Maria smiled faintly. She only heaved a heavy sigh. Juliet say up . She studied her face." Mummy, are you not happy for me?"

"Why aren't you saying anything?"

Maria took both her long hands into hers. She swallowed back a bitter taste in her mouth, " Of course I am excited. I need to talk to you, though!"

Juliet's fore head crinkled in concern as she keenly studied her mother's face," mummy, you are thinking again, aren't you?"
" Remember the doctor told you not to stress yourself, lest you get hypertension a top the diabetes you already have!"

" Juliet, it is easy for you to laugh at anything because you are not a parent."

" Can we talk now?"

Juliet nodded. Maria cleared her throat." Look, I have decided that you will start your secondary education two years from now. That is after your sister has completed her course. "

" Such that we can be able to pay your school fees double handedly. I pray she is able to get a good job on completing."

She shifted in her seat, adding," I am so sorry that this had to happen to you"

Juliet chuckled. " Don't worry, mummy. You always called me a child of luck. Has your faith faltered so easily?"

She rolled her eyes upwards upwards, forcing her mother to laugh." Sit back in wait, and see what God is going to do in my life!"
In open arms, Maria heaved a sigh of relief." If you say so, then who am I to reject?"

Two days later, they all gathered round a radio set borrowed from a neighbor's house. The results were to be announced that morning, and they impatiently waited as the adverts rolled by.