Chapter 5 (1)

The Museum cafe overlooked the Waikato River and on a day like this, with the sun beaming full on and not even a puffy white cloud in sight, the doors to the wooden deck were open. The river was a few meters below, meandering past in lazy abandon. A picturesque spot that enticed you out to brave the gentle breeze.

The cafe was deserted. Too late for lunches and too early for the trendy afternoon set.

With the ease of a regular patron, Grace headed for the counter and smiled at the waiter. Joshua followed her over to the counter and waited while Grace scanned the line of mouthwatering desserts and dithered awhile. Joshua read the menu board, ordered his meal and then waited patiently for Grace to give her order. Eventually Grace made up her mind. A young man took their order. Grace and Joshua bickered amicably over who paid. Joshua paid.

The waiter told them to take a seat and he'd bring their order over to them. Grace headed straight for the wooden balcony that was called the deck. Four small tables huddled in the available space. There was a gentle breeze which ruffled the cream lace edged tablecloths, threatening to blow them off the metal lattice tables.

Sitting outside allowed them a view of people travelling up and down the river for several hundred metres. Not that there were many. A couple of canoeing eighths practicing, and the steamer in the distance. Several walkers and a couple of joggers on the paths beside the river. Very quiet.

"So what brought you here today?" She asked quietly as she put her bag on the floor and settled into the leather backed director chair. Although her eyes were still shimmering with unshed tears her voice was steady and composed. Grace clasped her hands in front of her, laid them on the table and adopted a pose of serenity.

Joshua stifled his grin, just as he'd anticipated, she needed him to provide a reason to explain his visit. He settled back, "I saw a guy about a programme I'm writing for his company." His reply was almost too perfect, it rolled off the tongue just that bit too easily. "Just wanted to run it by him before I went any further." He tried to keep his tone light, but even to his own ears it sounded glib. As he spoke he noticed her hands were still trembling. He reached across the table and took one hand in his, his thumb brushed across the back of her hand. His caress was gentle. She let him hold her hand.

"Computer programme?" She quizzed striving to put the last few hours behind her and making an attempt to return to normality and enjoy a very late lunch. Her composure was returning slowly, his fingers gave her strength.

She concentrated on Joshua. That wasn't hard. She took detailed note of his appearance. He was wearing a suit, a dark grey business suit, a white shirt and another loud tie. He looked like a successful businessman, apart from the tie. His suit was obviously expensive, the material and cut fairly shrieked money. Once again Grace was made aware of the difference between their lifestyles. He lived in a totally different tax bracket, that much was evident. His clothes were hand made and she made hers.

"Yes," He missed her analysis and failed to see the conclusion dawn in her eyes. He warmed to his theme, "With the approach of the year 2000, many computers hold files that are dated, but when 1999 passed, because we operate on a binary system, that plus the fact that most machines only register the last two numbers, so many computer systems reverted the files back to 1000." He grinned. "Or even worse 00. Mega bucks time for us poor programmers to help retrieve them."

"Well that was a bit shortsighted of the buyers." Grace said facetiously.

He shrugged, "Many of the machines we are looking at revamping had a life expectancy of twenty, twenty five years max, so we are really looking at rather old machines."