Chapter 4 (3)

The automatic doors slid open when he was inches away from them and Joshua stepped into an open plan foyer. Joshua glanced speculatively at the environment. Very sparsely furnished, clean lines, a few startling modern prints in chrome frames.

"Can I help you?" A voice behind the reception desk called enthusiastically as soon as he was within hearing distance.

"Yes," His lips curved into a smile as he strode toward the desk. " I'd like to see Dr Carvalho. Grace Carvalho."

He could almost hear the penny drop into place as the woman beamed at him. She murmured something that sounded vaguely like, "She has all the luck."

"Sorry?" Joshua cocked an eyebrow at her.

"You reminded me of another guy who was here a couple of weeks back, you don't happen to know Zac?"

Joshua smiled in dawning comprehension, "Yes, my kid brother."

"Cute guy." The girl told him candidly as she dialled Grace's extension number and waited for the reply. "Grace had to practically pries him away from half our students." She exaggerated and grinned. "I don't think they've forgiven her as yet."

"Sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to Zac."

The phone was obviously answered, for the reception removed her hand from the mouthpiece and said, "Oh, Hi Sheena. Grace put her phone through to you?" The receptionist listened attentively to the explanation, "No, it's just that there is a guy here to see her," she held her palm over the mouth piece, and mouthed "What's your name again?"

"Joshua De Souza."Joshua was surprised by her casual approach

"I'll ask." She covered the mouthpiece again, "Do you have an appointment?' Joshua shook his head. She repeated the information to Sheena, "Will she be long?" Another hesitation, "Yeah, I see, ok." She paused and her brow furrowed, "Yeah, I'll ask him." Once again she covered the mouth piece, "She's got a student with her at the moment, but they've just called for a taxi. Can you wait or are you in a rush?"

"I'll wait."

"He'll wait." She informed Sheena, "Yeah, ok, bye." She replaced the phone and pointed to the chairs and table, "Take a seat. She said they'd be through in about five minutes or so."

Joshua took a seat and he glanced at his watch, just gone one.

A few minutes later the door opened and a man sauntered in calling cheerily to the reception, "Someone wanted a taxi."

The receptionist was about to answer when Grace and a young girl came through another set of doors. The girl had her head bowed and Grace had a protective arm along her shoulder as she ushered the girl toward the exit.

"Err, Grace." The receptionist called hesitantly, just as they walked past the desk. Automatically Grace turned to her, "There's a guy waiting for you." The receptionist indicated with her head and Grace turned to look over her shoulder.

Joshua read the astonishment in her eyes before her voice could convey the impression. "Joshua? What are you doing here?"

He walked over to her, smiling diffidently. "Thought, as I was in the area, we could do lunch."

He saw her shoulders slump as she offered a rueful smile. He'd reached her and the girl by then. The young woman kept her head down and her face averted from him. Perhaps she'd been crying, he thought, as he turned his attention back to Grace.

"Not a good time?" He asked as his eyes flicked meaningfully toward the student.

"No, 'fraid not." He saw the regret in her eyes and was sure his eyes mirrored the same sentiments. "I'm just on my way out, I could be at least an hour." She explained.