Twenty

Darkness.

Darkness and pain, that was all that your body managed to sense in this very moment.

Disoriented you tried to open your eyes, but there was nothing that made a difference. You didn't even know if your eyes were open.

It was just so dark.

A strange sensation covered your arms and legs, all the way up to your torso and throat. It felt as if your body was on fire. It felt like a burn.

"W-where..?", you managed to throw yourself onto your back, only to regret it seconds after.

Howling in pain, you tried to move back but failed. Your body wasn't strong enough to move back again. It was completely paralysed. You didn't even feel your legs no more.

Your own whimpering echoed inside your ears, bounced off the shadows and back to hit you in the chest full force to cause even more suffering.

Tears gathered in the corners of your eyes. The salt made it even more unbearable to be alive. Breathing hurt. It felt like a chore to keep your lungs filled with oxygen.

Absolutely out of your mind you tried to find a way to move, get up and call out for help.

Nothing.

No one answered.

It didn't feel like anyone was there.

"T-Tyr...", it rolled off your lips, desperate, scared like a child that, for the very first time, realised what the dark was.

It hurt to call out his name. Your throat was sore. It felt like someone had punched it. Or had tried to choke you to death.

No matter what it was, you prayed it would end soon. Either through your death or because someone came to help.

With an empty stare you let your arms fall to your sides and kept on breathing. Every single sound echoed inside your ears. A constant reminder that it was just you. You, yourself and the darkness.

It was so silent.

Lonely.

Time did not seem to be a concept in this place. Yet every breath felt like it moved a million years.

Sometimes your body grew goosebumps. Then it fell asleep again, too exhausted by the constant pain that made you suffer.

Tired, no, rather exhausted, you let your eyes fall shut and just accepted that there was nothing that you could do in that moment. All that was possible was to lay and wait.

And you did wait. You couldn't tell for how long, but long enough until something changed in the dark.

Steps.

Were this steps?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Your mind wasn't clear enough to find a difference in the sound.

It was as if someone dragged something across the floor. Or the person who walked was old, hardly strong enough to keep themselves upright.

With a soft whimper on your trembling lips, you managed to open your eyes.

Blackness.

All of a sudden this veil of dark was torn apart by a bolt of light.

Both surprised and blinded, you squeezed your eyes shut. Tears started to gather in the corners and made everything feel salty and dry.

With your teeth clenched you tried to escape the reddish vision that glowed before your closed eyelids. Everything hurt.

Warmth stroked your skin. But it felt like a flame that kicked across your cheeks.

The steps approached.

Behind your closed eyes you managed to make out a silhouette, scrawny, bend over. Even though you were unable to see you still managed to sense that this someone was close.

It made your skin crawl. You wanted to move away from this feeling of discomfort. But your body remained paralysed.

Perhaps it even refused to listen to your command.

"So my guts really did not deceive me.", the voice of an old man echoed from the walls.

Your heart skipped a beat. All the blood froze in your veins.

Shaken, you managed to open one eye, vision blurred with tears and faced the man who's presence was enough to make you long for death.

"Odin...", it slipped off your tied tongue.

With a hum, the Allfather lowered his head to deepen the eye contact. There was anger visible on his face. Even the desire to piece your flesh with sharp metal.

"Tyr lied to me.", he said with his teeth clenched. Once more.

Your brain failed to understand yet there was this instinct in you to rush to Tyr's aid.

"It was a coincidence.", you almost choked on what tasted like blood. "He found me."

"But he hid you from me. Right before my nose."

Odin raised his spear to push it through the gaps of the poles and dug into your paralysed arm.

A scream of pain and agony escaped your dry lips as blood came gushing out of the wound. The air made your flesh feel like it was on fire.

Yet, your mind fed on the despair and sharpened within a breath. Suddenly you could sense everything, see everything, hear it all.

You were in the cave that Odin used as his studies. Dim candlelight bounced off the stone walls and flickered whenever your voice filled the silence.

It smelled of dust and old books.

Something tied your throat together. You were in the enemies lair. Literally.

"You are the last giant to exist...", Odin pulled his spear back to examine the blood that stuck to the tip as if he needed to make sure just one more time. "And I though I had lost all of your secrets. But now... Oh, you will be of so much use to me."

Angered, you threw your head around to spit at him. But the drop of saliva didn't make it far. It landed a hands width away from his feet instead.

Halfway amused but also with a certain disapproval, the Allfather eyed it before his gaze returned to your face.

"I won't tell you anything!", you hissed while the adrenaline rushed through your veins and made you feel alive once more. "I'd rather die."

His eyes darkened.

"Oh, I fear that will not happen.", he leaned forward, shadows dancing across his face. "I won't allow it. You'll live, no matter how many times you decide to slice your wrists and break you neck. You'll always be with the living. As long as it takes. Forever, if it's necessary. And you will remember every single ounce of pain along the way. That is my gift to you."