"And, not only is my mom on my ass about midsummers— that reminds me, are you two still going together?"

"Yes." The pair nodded, confused on why they wouldn't be attending the event with one another. Sure, Evelynn's mom didn't approve, but her grandmother did, and that was enough for her to disobey the woman that gave her life.

"Right, anyway... the other day Kie literally came out as a hypocrite." Her hands moved around frantically as she spoke, which was a common occurrence any time she got worked up.

"Oh?" Evelynn pressed, smile present on her face as she was prepared to hear what happened.

"Uh- yeah. She tried to tell me that I couldn't have a crush on JJ because of the no pogue on pogue mackin' rule, when she actually kissed John B!"

"That is a bit hypocritical." The Connor girl nodded, hearing Luca chuckle into her shoulder.

"Thank God, i'm not a pogue."

Kirsten hummed, "Luckily you aren't. Kie would be down your throat on how you two shouldn't be in a relationship."

"Do you want to know what else I find weird?"

"What's that?" Evelynn asked, lifting her straw to her mouth, dimples showing as she sipped on her pink lemonade. She didn't notice the way Luca smiled at the dent in her cheek, holding himself back from poking at it.

She formed her hands into quotes, " 'Spiritually', or at heart, or whatever the hell my sister wants to call it, yeah we are pogues, but i'm actuality, we're kooks. So, it blows my freaking mind that this rule even applies to us!"

"Either way, kooks and pogues aren't really supposed to be together." Luca mumbled, tired eyes scanning the area in front of them.

"It's to protect the friendship." Evelynn reminded her.

"I'm well aware of that, Evelynn, thank you." The Carrera sighed, leaning her head back against the chair she sat on.

Luca lifted his head off his girlfriends shoulder, "I hate to be that person—"

"No, you don't."

"But maybe if you actually did more then stare at him every time you're around each other, you'd have more of a chance of being together."

"Wha—?"

"He's not wrong, Kirsten. Honestly, if I didn't know you and I saw you and JJ awkwardly standing next to each other in one hundred percent silence—"

"Okay." She dragged.

"I would also think that you guys were total strangers who knew not a single thing about each other, rather than best friends that are actually in love."

"Who's in love?"

Evelynn smiled at the sound of her grandmother's voice, turning to her with bright eyes, "JJ and Kirsten."

"JJ Maybank?"

"Yes, ma'am." Another voice cut in, the voice making Kirsten's heartbeat increase.

They turned to spot the boy in question walking up to them, Pope not too far behind.

"How're you doin', Lizzie?" He greeted the woman normally as if Pope was internally freaking out behind him.