Chapter 28 - Graduation

Start from the beginning

Everything that happened over the last four years with forever stick with me.

I fan my face and search the crowd for my family as two people remain before me.

My eye quickly find Mateo, in the back. I smile at him and wave. He grins widely at me and waves excitedly.

The love of my life. Forever and always.

My eyes find my mom and Malia. More tears brim my eyes at my sobbing mother. The women never cries. Malias not any better. She's holding onto my mothers shoulder and burying her face in my moms shirt.

My mom taps her as it's my turn to accept my diploma.

My feet move on their own accord as I shake hands with the people on the stage. I come to a halt at the principal who has my diploma and is holding out his hand.

I shake it and he smiles down at me.

"Congratulations Zaya Mendoz." He tells me with another smile and a firm handshake.

I stop and turn for my parents to take a picture and my eyes find Mateos again.

His eyes are filled with tears. Proud tears. I try to hold in a sob but can't. My childhood is ending as I take the diploma from the principle.

My mom and Malia snap a few photos and I walk off the stage.

Fours year and I get a piece of paper. Worth it for the memories.

I stop at my seat and my brain continues on in a whir until Mateo is called up.

I stare at my boyfriend accept his Diploma with a smile on my face. He finds my eyes and he mouths 'I love you' to me from across the audience.

I mouth it back as he walks off the stage. Tears fill my eyes as everyone finishes up.

"Congratulations class of 2023!" The principle says from the stand.

Everyone all at once throws their hats in the air. I watch mine fall until it lands near someone. I follow it, my eyes set on it.

I pick it up and jump when I see Mateo right in front of me.

He tackles me in a hug as we fall to the ground. Everyone else around us fades away as he looks into my eyes.

"I'm so happy I'm doing this with you." He admits.

"Me too." I smile at him and kiss him with all I've got.

-

An hour later, we're all taking photos and saying our goodbyes to our now old friends.

"By Alaina." I say to my friend as we hug again.

"I hate goodbyes." She pulls back and smiles sadly at me.

"Me too." I smile at her back and watch as her boyfriend pulls her in for a kiss.

My eyes search for mine. He's with his group of friends. They're all a little emotional it seems. I leave him to it and search for the twins.

They find me first with tears running down their cheeks.

The pull me into a group hug and tears find their way down my own cheeks.

"I don't wanna leave you guys for college!" My teary voice muffled by their robes.

"I don't want to either Zaya." Navi tells me.

"This really sucks." Neminas sobbing in my and Navis arms.

"I love you guys so much." Navi chokes out.

"I love you too." I mutter out and squeeze them tighter. I don't want to leave my best friends.

We pull back and laugh at each other expressions. We're all red eyed with tears streaming down our cheeks.

"Congratulations you two." I smile at them.

"Right back at you Z." They say at the same time and I open my mouth in shock.

"I'm going to miss that!" I blubber out and pull them in for another hug.

They sob into my shoulders for a few minutes before we gather ourselves and talk for a bit.

We already took photos so I'm free to cry now.

"Mateo?" I ask gently where his group of friends is.

He comes out of the circle with a red face.

"Congratulations baby." He grins and kisses my cheek.

"Congratulations Mateo." I kiss his lips instead and thread my fingers in his hair.

He groans into the kiss and hugs me tighter.

"I'm going to miss everything." I pull back and look up at our old school.

"Me too." He holds me by his arm around my shoulders and my head resting against his shoulders.

My heart fills with warmth at the crying, laughing, and smiling people all around us.

"It's a new chapter for us." I give him a small smile.

"Yes it is." He leans down and kisses my head.

"The only thing that wont ever change is us."

A/n

This books coming to an end :(

Made me tear up

Word count: 1756

-Ella :(