⁰⁸, BEHIND BARN DOORS

Start from the beginning

  Which was why Dean was running.

  "Vex!"

  The woman didn't falter, approaching the barn quickly as her brother sprinted toward her.

  "V, just hold on--"

  Vex approached the doors, banging loudly on them after noting the chains and locks.

  She stepped back, her blood running cold at the sound of groans-- the doors pushing out against the weight of them all, held closed only by heavy chains.

  "Vex, hold on a second," Dean tried, out of breath, as he finally reached her, "Listen to me--"

  "You knew."

  Dean attempted to catch his breath as Vex whispered the statement. He hadn't seen that expression in a long time; the one of anger, disgust-- betrayal.

  "Vex, he thinks they're sick-- that he can save them, or God will--"

  Vex shoved her brother back, the man catching himself as he stumbled back. 

  "You knew and you let me bring my daughter here--" She spat, hitting the man's chest again, "You put her at risk-- you put me at risk--!"

  "Vex, I made sure it's secure," He said calmly, attempting to capture his sister's hands, "That's-- that's their family in their. Neighbors, friends--"

  "They're corpses, Dean."

  "You and I know that-- they don't. They can't."

  Vex ripped her hands out of her brother's, taking a step back.

  "But you know," She pointed, "You know they're dangerous. You knew they were in there. And you didn't tell me."

  "Hershel didn't want me to," Dean tried, "He-- he knew you wouldn't agree, that it would cause tension-- he didn't want to lose you, Vex."

  "So you kept it hidden?!" She rivaled, "You thought I'd never find out? Or you thought that you'd somehow change my mind one day?!"

  "Vex--"

  "I don't even know who you are."

  Dean's hurt flashed in his eyes, recoiling from his sister.

  "Yes, you do, V," He said quietly, "I'm-- I'm your brother."

  "My brother made mistakes. He left and he didn't reach out, and he was an idiot, but he didn't mean to be. . . but you kept a secret from me that could have hurt not only me but my daughter. The brother I grew up with would have never done that."

  Dean felt a lump form in his throat, feeling the break of something he thought was fixed forever.

  "I'm leaving."

  "No--"

  "You can't trust me," She laughed humorlessly, "I'm-- I'm what? Irrational? Calloused? What is it, why didn't you tell me?"

  Dean couldn't speak, even if he wanted to. The lump in his throat grew to the size of a basketball, keeping any words from escaping.

  "Doesn't matter," Vex said, her voice falling quiet again, "Zep and I will pack and be out of here tonight."

  "Vex, you can't leave," He whispered.

  Vex stared at him. At her big brother. He was supposed to protect her; that's what older siblings did. They were supposed to be strong, to be your bully and your friend. Teach you lessons no one else did, and have your back no matter what.

  But Vex had always felt in some way the world made a mistake. That she should have been born first. Because she'd looked after Dean, she'd picked him up, she'd protected him.

  "I can't stay with people who keep me at arm's length."

  Vex swallowed her emotion, leaving her brother without another word.

  And Dean Williams stayed in the field for a long while, attempting to keep his tears at bay, wondering if there was anything he could say or do to keep his little sister around.

🗡

  Maggie and Beth Greene both attempted to talk to Vex Williams. But it was only a matter of seconds to realize Vex wasn't exactly responsive to any conversation at the moment.

  The woman had been busy gathering any lingering items from around the farm, taking her time as the day went on, until facing the final beast.

  "Zep, get your things," Vex called, approaching the farmhouse.

  Glenn and Maggie were on the front steps, while Lori, Beth, Patricia, and Zeppelin lingered on the porch.

  "Mom, I don't want to," Zeppelin tried, standing from her seat.

  "Zeppelin, it wasn't a request," Vex said calmly, avoiding the eyes on her, "Go. Now."

  The girl frowned, slinking off into the home as other members of the group began to approach.

  "You're leaving?" Lori questioned.

  "Yeah," Vex mumbled.

  "Why--?"

  "Found the barn," Daryl said, approaching, "Didn't wanna take my word for it."

  Vex set her jaw.

  "You gonna leave, or you gonna fight?"

  The woman turned, eyeing Shane's approach with a Sherriff bag full of guns.

  "I'm pissed at the man but it's his land, put that shit away," Vex said, watching Daryl accept a gun.

  "I'm protectin' mine, I advise you to do the same."

  "I can promise you're the one who's gonna need protecting if you don't put those damn guns back," Vex said, taking a step toward the man, "You don't get to call the shots here, Officer."

  "I tell you--"

  "What's going on, Mom?" Zeppelin questioned, dropping her bag on the porch and quickly approaching her mother.

  "Nothin', put your bag in the truck," Vex mumbled, her eyes never leaving Shane's. 

  Zeppelin lingered, craning her neck to meet Carl's eyes.

  She didn't want to leave. To leave her uncle and Carl and Beth and Maggie and Hershel. Zeppelin loved her mother, this she knew, but she loved these people, too. 

  And she wanted to stay with them. All of them.

  "Oh, shit."

  Zeppelin turned toward the voice, following what T-Dog had seen, her heart sinking.

  Jimmy lead Hershel and Rick, who each had walkers attached to snare poles.

  Shane took off, the rest of the group following quickly.

  "Zeppelin, truck, now," Vex pointed, watching Shane fire shots into the walker Hershel held, "Right now."

  But Zeppelin just stared, her heart climbing to her throat, panic bubbling over when she saw Shane begin to break open the locks on the barn.

  "Zeppelin--"

  And then she was running. As fast as she could, toward the first friend she'd ever made, without much thought.

  "Oh, kid you are so grounded!"

  And then Vex was running, too.

WORD COUNT : 1386