Chapter 16: Resurgence

Start from the beginning

"Ah!" screamed the sharp-toothed sorcerer, writhing on the floor. His scars smouldered ferociously, their vibrant glow waxing and waning.

Mizuki crouched down beside Hinotori. "A-are you okay?!"

"I'm fine! Call Ms Yamakado and go help those people!"

"Got it!" responded Yukari, holding his phone to his ear.

Thirty minutes had passed. Hinotori stood outside the building, pressing a blood-soaked rag against the lacerations below his jaw as red lights flashed in the vicinity. Two paramedics wheeled an occupied stretcher towards one of several parked ambulances. The sharp-toothed sorcerer eyed the white bandages wrapped around his arms and sighed.

Where are they?

A stretcher emerged from the abandoned hospital; Yukari and Mizuki accompanied a paramedic out of the building. They waved at Hinotori, approaching him.

"That's the last person," announced the purple-haired teenager. "How are your injuries?"

The sharp-toothed sorcerer chuckled. "I'll live to see another day. Thanks for making sure everyone got out safely."

"Of course! We're a team, after all," replied Mizuki, offering his teammates a high-five.

Yukari froze.

The blue-haired sorcerer lowered his hand and scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "Sorry, I forgo—"

His eyes widened.

Yukari held out his hand, a radiant smile lighting up his face. "Let's high-five, guys."

Mizuki blinked — a wave of warmth washing over him. "Alright!"

Hinotori grinned. "Hell yeah!"

The three sorcerers celebrated their victory with a collective high-five; at that moment, the purple-haired teenager felt as if his existence mattered.

They're no longer just my teammates...

Yukari made eye contact with the other two before smiling again.

They're my friends.

He thought back to their fight against Kezume and turned to face Mizuki. "By the way, what were those black sparks that appeared when you severed the curse's leg?"

"Huh? Oh! You mean Black Flash, right?"

"Black Flash...?"

"I'm surprised you don't know about it already," stated Hinotori. "It's a rare phenomenon in Jujutsu that occurs when cursed energy is delivered within one-millionth of a second of a physical impact."

The blue-haired sorcerer nodded. "Space distorts momentarily, and cursed energy flashes black."

Yukari listened in awe.

"An attack affected by Black Flash is equal to its original strength to the power of 2.5 — like a critical hit in a videogame," explained Hinotori. "It's impossible to use at will, though."

"In the heat of the moment..." Mizuki took a step back and crossed his arms. "I didn't fully register just how lucky I got." He shuddered, his pupils fixed on the snowy terrain. The boy's voice dropped to a whisper. "I nearly..."

The sharp-toothed sorcerer looked away before letting out a nervous chuckle. "I thought you were gone, Mizuki."

Yukari noticed a teardrop forming at the corner of Hinotori's right eye.

"Well done, you three!" exclaimed Ms Yamakado while walking towards the Jujutsu High students. "I've informed Mrs Yokiuji regarding the mission. She was surprised, yet pleased to hear about your success."

The three sorcerers sighed in relief.

"However, I have been informed that Yukou Tsugomorii was recently spotted near Shinjuku Station — travelling alongside a newly-registered special-grade curse."

A shiver crawled down Yukari's spine.

Masked by the ubiquitous veil of night, on the other side of the abandoned hospital, a familiar figure dragged its body through the snow — a purple smear leading back to a broken window trailing its path. The clouds dispersed, exposing the moon's ethereal lustre.

Kezume wilted, the blackened bones on the left side of his skeleton sinking into the snow's surface like torched tridents. His left arm and leg had long since departed, leaving the remnants of his charred carcass to fester alone.

I guess that's why they tell you not to play with your food.

The apparition sluggishly rolled over and stared at the night sky.

In hindsight, purposefully manifesting an incomplete Domain to keep it deployed forever was a bad idea.

Kezume exhaled, his warm breath condensing into three clouds of mist.

My method of preying upon drug addicts to help spread addiction was going so well, and yet... that 'Mizuki' ruined it all.

The cursed spirit's hand twitched uncontrollably. He stabbed the snow with his fingers, his eyes retaining a frenzied look.

I'd love to perform all sorts of unspeakable experiments on that blue-haired brat while forcing his friends to watch without being able to intervene!

Kezume sighed once more and closed his eyes.

Whatever, it's fine. Besides...

An unsettling smile spread across the apparition's face.

There's always next time.

The Addictive Acquaintance Arc — End.