Chapter 4: First Mission

The abandoned factory stood before the two sorcerers. A secretive shroud of mist partially concealed the ruined building, further masked by the sombre cloud-filled sky. Yukari gazed at the neglected property. Its weathered walls and fractured windows required severe restoration. The main entrance had been chained shut long ago, emanating a sense of hopelessness.

The teenager's outfit varied from his usual clothing. He wore a black Jujutsu High uniform consisting of a long-sleeved shirt resembling a gakuran, with his Jujutsu Sorcerer badge clipped just below the collar, and matching medium-fitting trousers incorporating pockets with purple zippers on both sides. Wrapped around his neck was a purple scarf made of wool — the exact one he had wanted for weeks. The boy also sported a brand-new pair of black and purple sneakers.

"Yukari," called out the sixteen-year-old boy beside him. He had straight, dark blue hair reaching the middle of his neck and eyes of the same colour. His hair was tied into two small braids on the right side, giving him a unique appearance. Moreover, the boy was a bit taller than Yukari and wore a similar uniform, except it was a navy blue shade and had a front pocket near the top left of his shirt, which contained a pack of playing cards. He also sported dark blue sneakers. A crimson button was clipped to the boy's collar, signifying his status as a Jujutsu High student.

The purple-haired teenager shifted his vision to the friendly teammate. "Yeah?"

"I know this is your first mission, but let's do our best!" The fellow sorcerer smiled softly and raised his right hand, offering his ally a high-five.

Yukari frowned in response and looked down at the floor. "Sorry, Mizuki. I don't like physical contact."

"Oh, I forgot..." replied the blue-haired boy in a slightly disappointed tone. He scratched the back of his head awkwardly and smiled again — this time a little less brightly.

A woman's voice prompted the teenagers to turn around; it was Miss Yamakado. She scanned the screen of a black tablet clutched in her left arm. "We've received reports of cursed energy coming from an abandoned building in this area of town. According to the mission report, the facility up ahead used to be a mannequin factory." The auxiliary manager stopped momentarily, ensuring the sorcerers were listening.

"Soon after the company went bankrupt two years ago, it was shut down and abandoned, leading to the loss of employment for many workers." She raised her eyes from the device to the facility in front of them. "We suspect that several cursed spirits have manifested inside the building as a result of its past. Therefore, your mission is to exorcise any curses present and secure the factory. The traces of cursed energy we've detected seem to be fairly weak, meaning it is unlikely you two will encounter anything stronger than a third-grade spirit."

The woman glanced back at the tablet and turned her attention to the two students with a stern yet concerned expression. "However, it is vital that you exercise caution during this mission. We don't know for certain what threats lie within that factory, so please be careful. Any questions?"

Hesitantly, Yukari raised his hand. "Could you remind me of the grading system?"

Miss Yamakado nodded. "Of course. I'll talk you through it again."

Almost as if it were second nature, the woman explained the grading system to the teenager.

"In the world of Jujutsu, there are seven official grades that are assigned to cursed spirits based on their overall power. They range from Grade Four to Special Grade — the latter being the most dangerous.

These are the general guidelines of what you would need if traditional weapons were effective against curses:

Grade 4 — A wooden bat is enough.