Chapter Nineteen

Depuis le début

"I have missed you more, Camilla."

Pulling apart, Camilla turned to the Older man. "Lord Otto, congratulations are in order. I can think of no man more suited to be the Hand of the King."

"That is very kind of you to say, my Queen. His grace has honored me with the post."

"Your previous time as Hand was a dutiful one. I have hope this time shall be no different." Camilla turned back to Alicent. "I know funerals are hardly the right occasion, but I wished to speak to you on this matter in person."

"What of, Your Grace?"

Camilla glanced between Alicent and her father. "My son, Daemion, is nearly a man now, with no betrothal secured. And I have heard you have two daughters. Perhaps the children might meet while we discuss such a topic."

"Such a generous offer." Otto spoke, his calculating gaze resting on the Queen.

"Daemion is the King's firstborn son," The lie fell with an ease that only came with practice. "What could be a better match than the daughter of my dear friend."

"You honor me, Your Grace." Alicent smiled. "My Lord Husband will be overjoyed to hear of the proposition."

As if the mere mention of him had summoned him, a tall figure joined the small group. A broad chest draped in deep red fabric, the overcoat's gold detailing matched the locks of golden hair sprouting from the Lord's head.

"Lord Jason," Camilla greeted the over proud man. "It has been some time."

"Yes, Your Grace, nearly ten years."

"Dear husband," Alicent interjected, pressing a hand to her husband's chest. "Her Grace has honored us with a proposition."

"And what would this proposition be?" Lord Jason asked, lifting his wife's hand off of his chest and placing a kiss to her knuckles.

"I have proposed a union between my eldest son and one of your daughters, it is a match I feel will benefit both of our houses greatly."

"This truly is a great honor, we would be fools to do anything except heartily agree."

"You should return to King's Landing with us," Camilla smiled at the man. "Allow the children some time to get to know each other."

"Your Grace," Ser Criston whispered from over her shoulder. "Prince Daemon has been staring at you since the moment we arrived."

Camilla didn't move, the smile never dropping from her face as she took in Criston's words. "Pardon me, but I wish to give my apologies to Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys."

"Of course, Your Grace, such a benevolent act from our Good Queen."

"I thank you for your kind words, Lord Jason, but it is only decency." Camilla turned to the Hightowers. "It was wonderful to see you again, Alicent. And congratulations again, Lord Otto."

Alicent smiled at her friend, as her father merely nodded his head, both bidding the Queen goodbye. Camilla found Princess Rhaenys under one of the Pavilions, grabbing a beverage. Rhaenyra stood nearby, though Camilla paid her former friend no mind.

"Princess Rhaenys," Camilla greeted. "I am so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Rhaenys smiled sadly, her eyes devoid of emotion.

"Laena was such a kind soul, one who will be greatly missed."

"I was not aware you two were close."

"One does not have to be close to think highly of someone. Laena's strength was one of the many things I admired her for." A slight cough came from the left, Camilla could practically hear Rhaenyra rolling her eyes. "One of the more forgotten traits of the blood of Old Valyria is the beauty. Laena was in possession of more than most, and I see her daughter's have inherited that feature."

Rhaenys nodded, looking towards where her granddaughters sat. "Yes, they have."

"If there is anything I or the King can do, please do not hesitate to ask." Camilla grasped the older woman's hand. "We are family, after all."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Princess Rhaenys forced a smile before slipping from Camilla's hold. The Queen watched as the Lady of Driftmark knelt before her granddaughters and pulled the girls into a hug

"You think yourself more silver-tongued than you are." Rhaenyra spoke, moving to stand beside Camilla.

"I think nothing of the sort. I merely wished to express my condolences, you might try it one day." Camilla's eyes remained forward, watching as Viserys got up from his seat and hobbled to where Daemon leant against the wall. "People approve of a kind and empathetic woman."

Camilla moved through the crowd making her way to her children though her eyes remained on the two Targaryen brothers. She watched as Daemon grew angry and stormed off. The Queen joined her offspring, smiling at the people she loved most in this world.

The click of a cane hitting the ground, alerted Camilla of her husband's presence. Turning to face the man she had married, Camilla forced a smile with practiced ease. "I'm going to bed, Aemma."

Camilla grimaced as she registered her husband's words. Hot embarrassment filled her being. She knew who he pretended she was, but to have it confirmed in front of so many people was cruel.

"Shall I see after Queen Camilla, Your Grace?" Ser Harrold Westerling spoke, slyly correcting the King.

Viserys looked at his wife, finally realizing who stood before him. "No, Ser Harrold."

"You have the night's watch, Ser Criston." Ser Harrold spoke, following the King to his chambers.

"Lord Commander."

At the King's exit the crowd returned to their conversations, though some remained focused on the Queen.

"Are you alright, Your Grace?" Criston asked, though Camilla ignored him turning to face her children.

"Come, let us retire for the evening." Camilla smiled, her eyes tracing over five familiar faces. Her brows furrowed as she realized one of her children was missing. She began counting her children, saying their name in her mind as she looked at them. "Where is Aemond and Maegella?"

The children shrugged, looking around as if just realizing their brother was missing.

Camilla sighed, turning to Ser Criston. "Will you find Aemond and Maegella, Ser Criston? I fear what trouble they could find themselves in."

"Of Course, Your Grace."

AN: Jason treats Alicent way better than Viserys.

-ELE