Chapter 1

A thick fog rises, enveloping in its white blanket the streets of the city of Legenheim. It is impossible to see more than 50 meters, the city has become a real ghost town. Blue and red glows cross the misty expanse, bursts of voices manage to make their way between the vaporous particles, while silhouettes quickly disappear inside... Stormy breaths soon replaced by sounds of fire punctuate this frantic race. They are only two against a dozen.

Grabbing her comrade's arm, the taller of the duo guides her through this mix of alleys and hidden roads as if he doesn't need to see to know where to go. He runs, dragging him quickly into a crossroads while a last shot sounds. Just as they turn, the bullet hits the wall narrowly hitting the girl, who struggles to keep up with her companion. Thus, the two fugitives manage to disappear without leaving any trace. The police patrolled the perimeter in order to find them, but without success. They managed to escape.

Hidden behind a curtain at the top of fire escapes in a building, the fugitives have difficulty catching their breath. It all happened so fast that they still haven't realized the situation they've stuffed their feet into. After a few minutes, and the breath well calmed, they look at each other in their only eye.

"Wow," exclaims the girl, "you look like me!"

The teenager facing him observes himself. Indeed it is indeed the case and it disturbs him, his gaze is lost in the continuity of the alley

"Are you okay? What are you looking at? »

He suddenly wakes up and looks at his comrade.

"Sorry, I'm lost about everything that just happened."

He looks at her, looking intrigued. Her behavior is not at all what he expected, thinking she would scream or struggle. After all, even if they have exactly the same clothes, the same bandages but opposite to each other, it does not mean that they come from the same family. Quite the opposite. The teenager tilts her head as she looks at him, then adds:

"Ah! Well, I didn't know what was going on. I have my right eye that makes me bobo a little, then you are still there! So everything is fine!

-Always... there?

-Uh yes! You've always been with me! You appeared one day, poof! Like this! And then we had fun too! You never really left, I think... »

He is stunned by his speech, however simplistic and naïve it may be. He would have been there, but for him he was never present either despite the snippets of memories that pass through his consciousness. No way to remember anything, there is a real blockage that prevents him from thinking more. In the end it's as if he doesn't know her.

"Well, I have a question," she resumes almost immediately, "how did you get into my house?

-I...

-Oh then it doesn't matter as long as you're there it's good! »

The girl begins to laugh, but seeing the lost face of her interlocutor, she begins to think. A reflection that does not really last because it immediately asks if everything is okay.

"Sirbon?

"Simon," he corrects, "and that's nothing. »

He smiles at her to show her that everything is fine and reaches out to her, offering to follow him to a shelter. Not surprisingly, she agrees.
Simon is very careful about the path they take being to reach the center of the city, an area closely monitored by the police. He prefers not to take the risk of going to another neighborhood, not knowing if other police officers are there or not. In addition he does not know as well the other places of the city so in a chase they would quickly be trapped in an alley without dead end. Passing through small places, they only bypass the building that the young target is: the sanctuary of the central district. It's worth it, it's the only place they can say they're safe. Their frail bodies zigzag between cars, quickly hiding when a patrol passes. It takes them some time before they can face the imposing building.

"Wow," says the astonished girl.

-Shhh, we're not out of the woods yet."

Footsteps and voices are finally heard, a group of policemen are on guard around the sanctuary. Caught off guard Simon drags his comrade into a garbage container and makes it clear not to make any noise. He looks at the path he remains and understands that there is no hiding place near the doors, he will have to run to have a chance to access the door.

"As soon as I tell you," he whispers, "we run with all our might. All right? »

She nods to tell him that she understands correctly. The teenager observes the pattern of the police and goes out for the first time with his comrade to hide behind the container.

"We're going.  »

They gather their last strength and start running towards the great gate of the sanctuary. This was without counting police officers posted on the flat roofs of nearby buildings who shot at them, alerting other officers who were heading towards the entrance. A trap begins to close on young people who can no longer turn around. Simon grabs his comrade and continues to train him even though she begins to resist, out of fear.
The large door opens, inside the light contrasts a lot with the outside environment which dazzles all those outside. Silhouettes come out and form a barrier around the two young people, they leave them a passage to the inside of the sanctuary.

"Get out of the way," says an agent, "or we'll also have to... »

One of his colleagues puts his hand on his shoulder and gives him a wave that says it all: there is no point in arguing with them. One of the strangers raises his voice in order to be heard.

"You are on the sanctuary grounds. All weapons are prohibited, as is any form of violence. Only spirits can make any judgment. If the deities have seen fit for us to intervene, it is because these children need help. »

Without adding anything they turn around making sure their protégés have entered. The door closes under the gullible and furious gaze of the police. They leave before tensions are at their peak and join the rest of the unit. One of the policemen begins to get angry and does not understand why they had to leave them. His companions do not answer him, either because they do not know or because they do not dare to answer him. One of the members of the unit begins to sneer.

"What's funny," the agent asks his eldest brother annoyedly.

-You are a new you, it shows that you do not know this city. Look around and tell me what you see. »

The policeman looks at the sky, which is quite dark and cloudy, his eyes drift on the road where no car is moving. No one seems to be leaving their house, there is no activity outside at the moment.

"Since it's quite dark it must be late. In addition there is no one outside, everyone must be in bed.

-It is thirteen o'clock. It's early afternoon. Doesn't it look like it? And yet it is. This city is rotten from the core. There is no more order, no more life, even the sky is doing its own thing while we are soon in summer. There are almost no inhabitants because either they have fled the city, or they are being killed like this morning. The dealers have taken over the streets and are not afraid of the police taking pleasure in developing their business. We're just here because our superiors don't know where to put us... »

He sighs and just as quickly resumes speaking with a sarcastic smile.

"And we are useless except to solve cases whose culprits will never be found, never tried. Give a good political image when this city does not give a shit. »

Their gaze turns to a granny who is walking around. She seems so innocent and fragile at first sight, her joyful expression makes the agent puff and nod in her direction to point at her.

"In a few weeks or even days you will see, we will have to investigate his murder... »