²², LEFT BEHIND

Start from the beginning

  "He helped us get out of there," Daryl started, "Get that--"

  "Yeah, right after he beat the shit out of you," Rick argued.

  "Hey, we both took our licks, man."

  "Jackass," Daryl mumbled to his brother.

  "Hey, shut up--"

  "Enough!"

  "Seriously, talk about the dude, but put your gun down unless you actually intend on shooting one of us," Vex said, staring at Glenn from Daryl's side.

  "V, you don't know the guy," Glenn said, readjusting his gun, "Trust me, you don't want him to come back with us, either."

  "I know you from somewhere. . ."

  Vex scoffed at Merle's words, "I doubt that."

  He stared for a moment, shaking his head.

  Until he grinned.

  "Paul," He pointed, "Carries a picture o' you around."

  Vex's face dropped.

  "Shut the hell up," She mumbled, turning back to Glenn, "Put your gun down."

  "Man, get that thing outta my face," Daryl yelled.

  "Man, look like you've gone native, brother."

  Daryl turned to Merle, "No more than you hanging out with that psycho back there."

  "Oh, yeah, man," Merle said, "He is a charmer, I got to tell you that. Been putting the wood to your girlfriend Andrea, big time baby."

  The woman seemed affected by the comment, but it was Glenn who spoke up.

  "What?" He said, "Andrea's in Woodbury?"

  "Right next to the Governor."

  The woman lunged again with her sword.

  "I told you to drop that!" Rick yelled. "You know Andrea? Hey, do you know Andrea?"

  "Yep, she does," Merle called, "Her and blondie spent all winter cuddled up in the forest mm-mmm-mmm. Yeah. My Nubian queen here had two pet walkers. No arms, cut off the jaws, kept them in chains. Kind of ironic, now that I think about--"

  "Shut up, bro," Daryl called, turning to Merle.

  "Hey, man, we snagged 'em out the woods," Merle continued, "Andrea was close to dying."

  "Is that why she's with him?"

  "Yeah. Snug as two little bugs. So, what you gonna do now, Sheriff? Huh? Surrounded by a bunch of liars, thugs, and cowards."

  "Shut up!"

  "Oh, man, look at this, pathetic," Merle called, "All these guns and no bullets in them--"

  "Merle shut up!" Daryl yelled.

  "Shut up yourself! Bunch of pussies--"

  Vex heaved a sigh as Rick hit the back of Merle's head, sending him to the ground.

🗡

  It was a heated debate. Whether Merle or the woman was coming back with them to the prison.

  Granted, Daryl was the only one defending his brother.

  "But Merle," Daryl said, "Merle's blood."

  "No, Merle is your blood," Glenn said, "My blood, my family is standing right here and waiting for us back at the prison."

  "And you're part of that family," Rick urged to Daryl, "But he's not. He's not."