05. we're gonna need some jackets

THE FOLLOWING DAY, Lorelai entered the auditorium. It was the day of the official start of the competition to elect the class president and each candidate had to make a speech in front of the school.

       She went to find Olivia who was sitting on the stairs on the side of the room so they wouldn't have to talk to people. She saw Cynthia who was sitting by herself, scowling. She wasn't talking to the T-Birds anymore. She waved at her and Cynthia waved back.

       Buddy made his speech and people cheered him on loudly. It seemed that he has won the hearts of most of the students. Lori really couldn't understand why.

"And now, for the candidates for student council." Miss McGee called. "First up, Jane Facciano."

       The crowd murmured as Jane slowly walked to the stage. She said a few words to miss McGee when someone exclaimed:

"Slut!"

"Who said that?" Miss McGee yelled.

      Silence.

      Jane took a few steps back to her seat, but she stopped on her way and looked up. She turned around and walked up to the stage.

"I just wanna say that I don't think Rydell was so fun for everyone before." she said in the mic. "It wasn't for me. And I know it hasn't been for a lot of kids who don't fit in, for whatever reason. Cause we're considered strange, or the wrong type. The truth is that most people in this auditorium aren't popular. Some don't even want to be. We just wanna be ourselves but we haven't even got the chance to do that yet or to have fun. 'Cause we're too busy just trying to survive high school. Maybe you've accepted that. Maybe you're used to things being that way at Rydell. As the new girl, I'll tell you, it's crap."

"Whoo!" Cynthia yelled.

"Jane, if you're not going to run—" Miss McGee started.

"I endorse her." Olivia cut her off.

"I do too." Lorelai exclaimed.

"You can't endorse her. She isn't running for anything." Susan said.

"Well, maybe she should." Cynthia stood up. "I endorse her too."

"And me." Nancy stood up in turn.

      The four girls go up on stage to support Jane. Lori was standing between Olivia and Cynthia. The crowd started booing while miss McGee was trying to make them stop.

"Now, Jane, would you like to throw your hat back into the ring?" she asked when silence went back.

      She looked at the four girls next to her and smiled.

"Yes. For presidence."

"What?" Buddy exclaimed as the audience gasped.

      Some of them started booing again but some others clapped and cheered them on. Cynthia took a step further.

"Vote for Jane!" she yelled before turning around and lowered her skirt, showing her ass to everyone.

      Lori clapped a hand over her mouth. Cynthia looked up at her and smiled.

"Come on!"

      She smiled and turned. She lowered her skirt in turn, soon imitated by Nancy, Jane and Olivia. The crowd screamed in shock.

"Pull those skirts up!" Miss McGee exclaimed.

     The girls got dressed quickly and ran out of the auditorium.

"This way!"

      They ran to Gil's car and Olivia pulled off, driving off the school, while everyone was yelling and running outside the auditorium. Olivia drove over to Jane's to decide what campaign she should do. Jane was starting to freak out and wonder why she did that.

"Two days ago, I was in his jacket and now I'm running against him." Jane said as they were sitting in her room.

"Who said boys are the kings of jackets?" Cynthia replied.

"Those tacteless boys don't dictate fashion." Nancy smiled.

"The five of us could start a new gang. Better than Buddy's, better than Richie's." Lorelai said.

      They all looked at Jane. After all, she was the one running for presidence. The girl with glasses seemed to think about it but finally smiled.

"We're gonna need some jackets."

— my spotify wrapped was 100% of rotpl and i love it