Chapter 14

I arrived at work early to see the military police was here. I happily wanted to remind them that since I was turned a vampire first it wouldn't matter what they throw at me. I am on a shelf out of their reach. They gave me a condescending look before they talked to the chief about a case. I am working on a missing persons case so I sat on my desk and tried to figure out where those kids were. My mind was swimming with terrible ideas that they are dead or have become human experiments. Halfway through the search the chief walks over and asks me if I was busy. I pointed out that I am working on to find a missing girl. He should direct his attention to Michelle who is playing videogames on the job. He asked me if I wanted to switch to a different case. Immediately like reflex action I said no. He stared at me for a moment before he walked to James to send him with the military police. They were staring at me with resentment as they walked past me to the door.

Batou had become my partner and we were discussing the possibilities and found ourselves going through police records. It turns out she wasn't kidnapped she had ran away. She wanted a different life for herself. She had decided that since she can't do that here she will try her luck elsewhere. We found her in the bus terminal. She was escorted to the precinct where she was scolded severely by her parents.

I sat down for lunch and one of men from the military police walked over to ask me if I wanted to help him with his case. I got up and walked out the kitchen area. I walked back to my desk and enjoyed Ramen. While Batou enjoyed a bottle of artificial blood. I sank my teeth into a real blood bag. I closed my eyes to enjoy the memories of the donor. Everyone knows that I drink real blood and I have no interest in the artificial stuff. So his outburst was met with a few people advising him to mind his own business. When I opened my eyes he had the nerve to sit on the table like it was his God given right to do it so I got up and tipped it over. He fell down and the others burst out laughing. I asked him if this was his grandma's house. He gave me a look before he apologized for his behavior. He wanted to know if it was possible for me work with him. I made it clear it won't happen. I don't work people who are associated with the military. He gave me a look before he got up and walked back to the others. They talked amongst one another trying to figure out how to convince me to work with them.

I walked after work and saw that the military police was there discussing when they saw the number of cars that came to escort me home. I took a picture of their faces as I went by them. Charlie watched as I stepped into it and was driven home. Marcus was concerned about my future so I reassured him that in a weeks time I am resigning from the police and I am going to my father's house. The Citadel is my home and I will get there as soon as possible. He promised to drop me there before he accepts his other duties.

As promised I handed my resignation and was received with a lot of complaints. I waited till they were done to politely walk away. I went back home to pack my stuff. The others were concerned but I assured them that if anything should happen I will help them. I was going to be flown out in a chopper but the military and scientists were eager to get me so I had to improvise. I tracked them down and made sure they were all in jail before I was escorted out of the city by night train. I laid down to listen to the chatter. I was bored to tears so I sat down to read a book. We reached the destination and I walked out with a series of bodyguards. We reached the Citadel and it as amazing as the first day I laid eyes on it. The others saw it and jaws dropped immediately. From the sounds they made it seems like they were impressed at the sight of the place. The vampire council were also escorted here as well. They were in awe of the sight. Then they became business like. They spent the next few hours explaining about how imperative it was that I remain hidden from view. They will come for me in about two hundred years. I will have guards to defend me and they will arrange my food as well. I told them not to bother with those things. I tried to send them all away so I can put myself to work.

The first thing that I did the moment they stopped lecturing me was to clean the place. It had a lot of spiderwebs. The place had a few inches of dust. The place looked better on the outside than it did in. I asked them to keep the garden overgrown so no one will know of this place. The bathrooms needed cleaning so I got to work. By the time I had finished cleaning the entire building I had to throw away some old furniture. The vampire council sent workers to help clear the place so it will be fit for me to live in. It took us three weeks of nonstop cleaning to make the place liveable. They all left to go back their respective lives. I will not be bothered for two hundred years.

I wanted the entire house to myself. They filled the refrigerator with blood and made sure the generator was working before they left. They wanted to call this place the sanctorum. I made it clear that they only call it the Citadel. They didn't question me at all. They wished me luck and walked out of the place. Marcus gave me one last look before he went to escort the others to their transport. Then he and eighteen others took their respective places to guard me.

Freedom sure feels amazing. I stayed up as late as I wanted. I sat on the big armchair. I had a long bubble bath. I sat down to read a book in the library. There are at least three million books here. I wanted to read all of them before it is my turn for vampire leadership. I happily sat down to listen to the records and I behaved obediently so as to not give my security a heart attack. They watched me laugh as I swung back and forth. I giggled like a kid. I even laid down on the swing to sleep. Like I said I can't sleep. So I just kept my eyes closed and one of them would carry me upstairs to my bedroom.