Chapter Eight

Everyone felt better to be home at Coocham. Sihtric had wasted no time with moving his things into Tove's house. Even though it had been a few days since Finan walked in on them he never ceased to joke and tease. But their time back at home was interrupted by a call from King Alfred, a battle was to happen in Lunden.
"When are we leaving?" Tove asked.
"We?" Uhtred replied. Tove furrowed her brow.
"Yes we." she said rudely.
"Tove I just don't think you're ready for battle. How many have you been to?" Uhtred questioned already knowing the answer.
"Well none but-"
"There you go then." Uhtred cut her off. Tove was angry with the lack of respect Uhtred used to speak to her lately. She slammed her closed fist of the table making the crockery chatter. Finally they listened.
"I have been to no battles because you don't let me. I will never get battle experience if you deny me the chance to fight. You've seen me train, here at Coocham and when I trained with you and my brothers when we were young. Are you forgetting that now? I put you on your arse many times then and I'm sure I could now. You agreed I could join you as a warrior so why make me stay behind with the other women?" She said poking the table harshly with every point she made. Her argument was one he could not counter. Uhtred put his head in his hands rubbing his forehead before looking at her again.
"I'm just afraid you will come to harm."
"That's in the job description Uhtred, warriors go to battle and give their lives for what they believe in." Sihtric backed Tove. She looked at him smiling happy for someone to be on her side.
"But I do not believe you should not fight this time."
"What?" she almost shouted in disbelief.
"You should ride with us to battle and you can stay at the camp." He continued trying to make her feel better. She began to laugh in disbelief, shaking her head at all the men who were there.
"Look, you can protect the camp there are warriors there. I just think this battle is going to be a bad one, we are going inside a fortress and after what you said about Siegfried..." he spoke quickly wishing to get his point made.
"Oh so this is what it's about." even more disbelief washed over her like a wave. Without saying another word Tove got up and left ignoring her name as it was being called by countless people.
She ignored the apologies she was given enraged by how she was being treated. Like she was less than them.

"Welcome to Coocham, the jewel of Wessex." Finan announced spreading his arms.
"Uhtred is expecting you." he continued walking towards  Aethelred who was talking with Beocca.
"Uhtred is with the women Lord, helping them prepare food, such as the life of a banished warrior."

Uhtred kept them waiting in the hall, all of the warriors, Gisela and even Aethelwold were there, waiting.
"I've never seen the inside of a Pagan hall before. I'm surprised that it's.. warm." Aldehelm said pacing the length of the large wooden table that sat in the middle of the hall. Gisela stood on the opposite side next to Thyra.
"We're you expecting heads on spikes Lord?" Gisela said with a smile on her face.
"I was lady, excuse my ignorance." he replied without a hint of sarcasm.
"I will excuse you this one time." she walked round the table sitting opposite to Aethelred.
"Will the lady Aethelflaed be joining us after prayer Lord?" Gisela felt the same way towards Aethelred as Tove did.
"If she has the will, yes. She has not traveled well." He spoke harshly.
"Should she be travelling at all to battle?" Gisela questioned.
"It was her wish to accompany her husband, they are newly married after all." Aldhelm jumped in before Aethelred even got the chance to speak.
"She will be kept out of harms way." Aethelred added. After hearing that Thyra rose from the table and marched away.
"Uhtred, has the king written that when the siege of Lunden begins I am to be first up the ladder? It is after all something he would do." Aethelwold now brought the attention to Uhtred as he walked down the stairs reading from a piece of paper. Aethelwold's question was ignored.
"So you accept I am in charge of all men?" Aethelred said changing the subject.
"Does Alfred wish it?" Uhtred asked.
"He does. So you are with us?" Uhtred picked up a sword and spun it around in his fingers before answering.
"Why would I not be? I am an Alderman of Wessex." Uhtred sounded bored and didn't grant Aethelred the respect of being looked at.
"Alfred has decided to give you this one last chance." Now he caught Uhtred's eye.
"Does he have a plan?"
"Together we will travel down river, we will meet with the armies of Wessex and Mercia. Make camp a short distance from Lunden."
"Is there a plan of attack?"
"Yes. It's not to dissimilar to your plan, you will attack the North gate with your men once the attack is underway I will attack from the marshes with the main army."
"And how will you know my assault is underway?"
"I will know." Aethelred replied sternly, annoyed with all the questions.
"You will know?"
"Uhtred do not doubt me, I want this victory. Lunden belongs to Mercia and I am Lord of Mercia. I will go with every man at my disposal to reclaim what is mine."
"Good."
"I am with Uhtred." Steapa spoke out.
"No Steapa you are with me."
"I am with Uhtred by order of the King." he pulled a small piece of paper from him leather wrist band and slid it across the table to Aethelred.
"Very well." he said under his breath, annoyed.
"I am with Steapa, behind Steapa." now it was Aethelwold who spoke. For once he was not ignored.
"Your bravery knows no beginning Aethelwold."
"A toast to the men of Wessex who will fight for Mercia at Lunden. To allies." said Aldhelm both he and Aethelred lifted their cups.
"To allies." Aethelred echoed.
And so the ride to Lunden began. Tove didn't go for a vow of silence like she had planned, though annoyed she tried to ignore it and just ask again closer to the time. She had her argument planned out.