013: hit the jackpot

Start from the beginning

"Okay, maybe we're the same height then."

"Yeah, we're the same." They walked around the next room together, not really paying attention to the insides.

"That just means I'm growing more than you."

"No that does n—." They fell silent as the caught sight of a Walker in the corner of the room. Carl pushed Rio behind him which made the other boy roll his eyes. He aimed his gun and shot the creature through the head. It fell to the floor instantly.

"You're welcome."

"My hero." Rio deadpanned, exiting the room. They jogged back downstairs, heading into the kitchen to look for food. Rick joined them soon enough, turning over every cupboard and shelf. Carl looked through all the tins.

Daryl walked into the room, holding a presumably dead owl in one hand, a small hoodie in the other. His crossbow was slung over his back.

"Here." He threw the hoodie at Rio, "Found this."

"Thanks." He replied, holding it in his hands, it was dark blue and red striped.

"Try it on, I think it might be a bit big." Daryl sighed.

"It'll be fine, I've grown." Rio shrugged it on as everyone began pooling into the house. He left the kitchen and walked into the hall to find Rick moving the bodies out of the way. He stepped around him, stopping to mumble 'hi' to Rick and T-Dog who waved a hand at him.

Daryl headed into the living room, where everyone had decided to sit. "Fit?" He asked as he got comfortable, plucking the feathers off of the owl.

"Yeah, yeah. It's a bit big but it fits." He admitted. It seemed like he hadn't grown as much as he'd thought. Rio pulled the hoodie off again, folding it up in his rucksack. It was summertime, too hot for hoodies in the daytime, although the nights were quite different. For now, shirts were enough. At least Rio thought so, Carl had about three layers on.

Daryl raised his eyebrows at the boy but the moment was cut short by Carl running over, two cans in his hand. He dropped to the floor besides Rio and dug through his rucksack looking for a can opener.

Dog food. Carl had excitedly brought back two cans of dog food.

Rio bit the side of his cheek. He was hungry, really hungry, but he didn't know if he could bring himself to eat it. Maybe Daryl would share some owl. That sounded a bit nicer.

Everyone stared at him with sorrowful eyes as he desperately tried to get the cans open. Rio tried not to feel sad for him, he knew Carl hated when people felt sad for him.

Rick walked over, taking the can from his sons hand and reading the label. He walked over to the other side of the room before throwing it. The can clattered and everyone looked over at the scene. No one said anything, not for a while.

Carl just looked up at him.

T-dog alerted everyone of an incoming group of walkers, heading towards the house. Everyone let out a collective sigh before grabbing their belongings and heading out the back door.

They hurried over to Daryl's motorcycle and the cars, filling the boot up. Rick followed Daryl's motorcycle away as the dead banged on the car window, trying to get in. Rio sat next to Beth, who jumped almost every time they slammed their hands against the window.

Further along the road they stopped, all jumping out of their vehicles. Maggie spread the state map over the hood of the car, someone holding down each corner.

"We got no place left to go." Glenn exclaimed solemnly.

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off. We'll never make it south."