Chapter 2

You'd risen early the following morning, taking advantage of the quiet gym to stretch out your body as you'd done last night before bed. It allowed you some processing time, too.

The place was shrouded in secrecy, but you were patient. It was small, only six of them on the team including a woman by the name of Kate, who was largely in charge of intelligence and analysis, and Alex, who wasn't on base at the moment – that's all you were allowed to know. You were yet to meet Kate, she was a busy woman, and you weren't sure if you'd even get the chance before your training was completed. According to Gaz, there were others who they worked with scattered across the globe. Still, it was a small group and the thought was a comfort to you; only a few people to win over should you bag the job.

Despite your prior reservations, the peace at this small base was nice. It was surrounded by lush greenery and had everything you could ask for, including several quiet places you could hang out in if you didn't want to socialise.

You wanted this. This life, this job – whatever it was – suited you. That much was already clear. You'd made it this far, and you lamented to yourself to give your all to whatever they threw at you.

"I've been looking for you," a gruff voice came from the entrance to the gym, and you raised your head from your stretch to sit up and greet Ghost.

"Morning, sir. Sorry, I thought I'd limber myself up before the day."

"At this hour?"

It was 0500 when you'd risen so you expected it to be about half past by now. "Yes sir."

"We're going to test your aim."

Despite your marksmanship already being observed back at Sandhurst, you figured he had more of a challenge in mind. You stood. "Ready when you are, sir."

Ghost turned, leading you outside and out of the front gates.

You didn't question why on earth he had the two of you walking for thirty-five minutes instead of driving, but eventually, he led you up a trail into a field until you reached a tall hill that the two of you traversed. Once at the top, he turned to you.

"On your front."

You did as you were told, overlooking the scenery.

He lay on his front beside you, a scoped rifle in his hands and aimed out it at the landscape. "If I were to hit that deer, what would you advise me on my aim?"

You swallowed, not even having a chance to look through the scope for a reference, nor knowing where the deer was. Scanning the horizon, your eyes landed on the grazing deer and attempted to overlay your vision with scope markings. "Three notches," you paused, "slightly to the left."

"Slightly?"

"Half a notch, sir," you added, unsure whether that would be correct.

Ghost peered through his scope, and for a split-second, you thought he might shoot the deer down. Thankfully, he didn't. "That would be a hit. Be precise in your instructions."

"Yes sir."

He took a moment to scan the surroundings further. "How about those few rabbits?" he nodded, closer to the two of you and your eyes met the target. "How would you suggest I take them out?"

"Take the one on the left, then line up your shot to hit those two together."

"Your reasoning?"