²¹, BACK FROM THE DEAD

Start from the beginning

  "Thank God."

  Vex breathed out, pulling away from the man.

  "Rick, I. . ."

  He faltered, expecting an apology. Condolences. He wasn't so sure he could take more.

  But Vex Williams only hugged him again.

  "Come on," Rick said quietly, "You wanna meet her, don't you?"

  Vex smiled small, following Rick to where Beth was cradling the infant.

  She was so small. Vex had recalled vividly the first time she held Zeppelin, as Beth passed Rick's daughter to her.

  Vex had worried she'd break Zeppelin, that surely something this fragile, this innocent and tiny, would be broken so quickly by her hands.

  But Vex knew kindness. She knew gentleness. Just because her life had been harsh and cold and cruel, did not mean she didn't know the opposite.

  "Hi," Vex cooed softly, "You're beautiful, aren't you?"

  The baby stared up at her with wide eyes.

  "Total badass," Vex whispered, running a gentle finger over the child's forehead, "Born in an apocalypse."

🗡

  "Hey."

  "Hey," Vex said, standing quickly at Daryl's approach.

  "Some chick showed up with a basket of baby formula. Said Maggie and Glenn were taken; won't say by who or where."

  Vex nodded, wiping the palms of her hands on her jeans.

  "I got it," She said quietly.

  Daryl nodded, starting toward where the woman was being held.

  "I'm sorry."

  He stopped, turning to Vex with furrowed brows.

  She looked almost back to normal. As if nothing at all had happened the day prior— as if she was entirely fine again.

  "For what?"

  "For trying to kill you," Vex sighed, shoving her hands in her pocket, "And I'm sorry that it had to be you."

  "What?"

  "Anyone else found me," She said, "Anyone else at all. . . I don't think they'd have been able to bring me back as quickly as you did. And I don't think they would've been able to hold me off, either."

  "That a compliment?"

  "You wish," Vex blew out, earning a smile from Daryl, "I just. . . I wanted to apologize. That's all."

  "Ain't necessary." He shrugged.

  "Then a 'thank you'," She urged quietly.

  He nodded once, shocked when the woman pulled him into a hug.

  The man stood awkwardly for a moment, before giving into the embrace.

  "Come on," She breathed out, pulling away, "Time to figure out what the hell is goin' on."

  Vex entered the room as Rick unlocked it, the two followed by Daryl and Hershel.

  "Hi," Vex greeted the woman.

  She was silent, but not in a way of being scared. In a way of defiance.

  "Water?" Vex offered, holding out a bottle.