Spending the summer with her friends meant that she could continue training for her return to the Paddock, her strength and weight now exactly where she needed to be to race when the season restarted. Thanks to her friend's countless hours of support, finally, Alexandra felt like she would be okay again. 

She felt like she was alive. 

Through the summer, where they'd hiked, swam, and played on the beaches, where they'd spent nights cooking dinner for each other and going to concerts and festivals, and spent hours lazing by the beach or on the boat - there was one thing that helped Lexi more than the rest.

Spending her nights with Charles. 

He'd begun teaching her piano, playing melodies for her as she watched, sometimes finding the courage to join in. They'd go for walks at sunset, or stay up for hours talking about everything and nothing on their balcony, with a bottle of wine and drunken smiles. 

He'd become her savior in more ways than she could count, and although she hadn't said it yet, she knew she was falling in love with him more and more every day. He'd respected her wishes to not put a label on anything though, and it wasn't until three days before they arrived at Silverstone she'd finally plucked up the courage to ask him on a date, so she could tell him she was ready to spend the rest of her life with him. 

When she'd told her friends she wanted to surprise him, Daniel looked as though he was close to tears. As much as Lexi had been silently suffering, it turns out, so had Charles. They'd never seen him look as happy as he had over the summer break, and filled with such motivation to return, confident he could win. 

As they strolled to the Mercedes garage, cameras flashing in their faces, neither regretted the past two months of their lives. In fact, they were grateful for them. 

"Alex!" a familiar voice shouted, as someone came barrelling out of the Mercedes garage and into her arms, hugging her with a laugh. 

"Bono!" she greeted back, a grin on her face. As the cameras were pushed away by stewards, the Mercedes engineers gathered around, all excited to see the actress back in the Paddock. 

"Lexi, it's so good to have you back! We missed you," he declared with a wide grin.

Lexi returned the smile, feeling the warmth of her friends and the Mercedes team. The sense of camaraderie enveloped her, making her feel at home again. "Thank you, Bono. It's good to be back," she replied with genuine appreciation. "How was your summer?"

"Not as good as yours, Lexi," Bono laughed. "I've seen all the pictures the drivers have been posting - I'm very upset I wasn't invited." he playfully jabbed her. 

"Next time Bono, next time." she grinned. 

"Why is there a Ferrari driver in my garage?" Toto's voice exclaimed although Alexandra could already detect the teasing in his tone as Charles moved towards the Mercedes Principal, a smirk on his face as they high-fived. 

"Just dropping her off to you," Charles smiled. "I want her back to me in one piece though Toto, okay?" Toto raised an eyebrow at Charles. "Oh, she's told me all about your plans." Charles waggled his eyebrows mischievously, and Toto turned to Lexi with a look of betrayal, just as Charles wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her in for a kiss. 

"Good luck today," he whispered, before swiftly leaving the garage.

Immediately, Toto turned to Alexandra. "You told him about the car?" he asked. 

"I did," Lexi smirked. "Just him, though. I still want it to be a surprise for everyone else." she smiled at Toto before walking towards him and hugging him tightly. Without his support over the past year, she definitely wouldn't be where she was now. They both knew it.