Chapter 2: Laser Tag 2.0

Start from the beginning

"You are crazy!" she confirms her previous rhetorical question, this time shaking her head and throwing her hands up in exasperation.

"Plus, I'd be doing them a favor by taking out the Sontaran again to make it easier for them to subdue him and send him to Space-Jail," I add to my previous statement as if Hazel hadn't said anything at all. "Rather, 'the Shadow Proclamation,' as my parents called it. Perhaps they'll hire me as a companion once they see how knowledgeable I am in handling Sontarans."

"Syd, stop!" Hazel groans for the third time in under a minute. "You're talking absolute insanity! You're gonna get yourself killed! Please, don't do this! Let the real police handle it!"

"The police won't be able to handle this," I say, shaking my head confidently. "They will never understand. But my parents will. So will I. I already understand; I've lived through this once before and survived. I can do it again."

Hazel groans yet again (no surprise). "Syd, how many times do I have to tell you? That. Was. Just. A. Dream!"

"Yeah, a dream that is now happening in real life!" I point out. "Maybe that wasn't really a dream but rather a vision. I saw a vision of the future, and since it's happening now, I'm supposed to carry it through 'til the end, exactly like how I went about it last time. Only this time I'm not going to let you be involved. Your involvement almost got you killed last time, and I'm not going to let that happen again."

"What?! Uh-uh! No way!" Hazel shakes her head vigorously. "If you must stay, I'm not letting you do this by yourself! I'm staying with you, for better or worse!"

"Even 'til death do us part?" I ask with a chuckle, remembering us saying that to each other several times in my dream.

"I don't want to die, period!" she scoffs, evidently thinking my joke to not be so funny. "I'd rather we just get the hell out of here and live another eight decades! I'm not sacrificing my life over a dream! I don't live in dreams; I live in reality, and this is reality!"

I sigh, not wishing to argue. "Like I said, you can leave if you want, but I'm not gonna waste an opportunity to meet my parents—or who should be my parents. And an opportunity that should've been the first one all along."

I pause, suddenly seeing the Sontaran entering the Laser Tag arena. "Look!" I say, pointing. "He entered the Laser Tag arena, just like last time! Are you coming?" I say this as I rise to my feet and prepare to go after the Sontaran.

"No!" Hazel scoffs in a 'in what universe would I do such an outrageous thing?' tone before changing it to a nervous-sounding one, "But at the same time I don't want to leave you."

"You can't do both," I say as I grab a lone laser gun from an unused vest hanging on the wall outside the arena to use like a club again. "You either come with me or go home. In fact, I recommend you go home, since you got hurt last time, and I don't have the ability to heal you this time." Needless to say, if Hazel gets hurt again, the damage will be permanent this time without my Regeneration Energy.

"I'm going with you," she says as she grabs her own laser gun from another unused vest. "You can't stop me." Despite her fear, she holds the gun like a typical soldier would when ready to take out the approaching enemy army.

Against my better judgement, I sigh in agreement. "Fine. Let's go. Be careful. The minute you see my parents—the Doctor and River, I mean—leave."

Hazel scoffs at this. "Uh-huh, and miss the chance to travel through Time and Space in a blue box that's bigger on the inside, no matter how ridiculous that sounds? Not happening!" She then adds in a murmur, despite there being no more people around since they fled the scene minutes ago, "Plus, I'm curious to see how good-looking your 'Doctor' dad really is...if he actually does exist."