²⁰, SOLITARY CONFINEMENT

Start from the beginning

  Dean's eyes widened, looking between his sister and niece.

  "You sure?"

  "Hell, I was driving at 13, Dean-- and that was when laws mattered."

  He breathed out a laugh, shaking his head as he passed his keys to Vex.

  The woman exited the gate, opening the truck and ushering Zeppelin into the driver's seat. The girl nervously placed her hands on the wheel, grinning as her mother climbed into the truck beside her.

  "Alright, turn it over," Vex pointed, passing the key to Zeppelin.

  She obeyed, her smile widening as the truck rumbled to like.

  "Okay," Vex smiled, "Put your foot on the brake-- pedal on the left. You're gonna put it in drive, and slowly let your foot off-- the gas doesn't exist right now."

  Zeppelin nodded, pressing the brake down before grabbing the knob by the steering wheel, pulling it until a 'D' appeared on the dash. She lifted her foot slowly, the truck crawling forward slowly.

  "Turn the wheel as far left as you can," Vex said, watching her daughter do this, "Now you're gonna put your foot on the gas gently."

  Zeppelin lowered her foot, making the truck lurch forward. Vex only laughed as her daughter slammed on the brake, before trying again.

  "You'll get used to it in a little bit," Vex nodded as the girl successfully turned the truck around, "Now we're goin' through this gate, but I don't want you to think about the sides of the truck at all. Focus your eyes on where you wanna go, and that's where it'll follow."

  Zeppelin nodded, her nerves rising as she approached the gate Glenn and Dean stood at. She stared right ahead to the field, where her mother pointed she'd be parking the truck. The girl drove slowly, creeping along the grass, listening to her mother instruct her as she turned the wheel, before putting the truck in park.

  Vex held her hand out, her daughter hitting it in a proud high-five.

  "Help Uncle Dean, get some firewood," Vex smiled lazily, "I have a surprise for you inside."

  "What?"

  "Well, do you wanna know, or you wanna be surprised?"

  Zeppelin thought over it for a moment.

  "I wanna know."

  "I found a bow a couple houses back," Vex admitted, "Nice one. I was thinkin' you might learn how to shoot it."

  Zeppelin could barely contain herself.

  "Get that firewood; once the yard is cleaned out, we'll do some practice."

  The girl nodded eagerly, nearly stumbling out of the vehicle as her mother headed back toward the prison.

  Zeppelin ran quickly toward her uncle, who was accompanied by Glenn, Rick, and Daryl at the fence they'd cut open.

  "Whatcha' doin' out here, kid?"

  "Mom told me to help get firewood," Zeppelin grinned as she skidded to a halt in front of the men, "She's gonna teach me how to shoot a bow once we're done."

  They couldn't help but smile.

  "I'll be like Daryl," Zeppelin grinned, mocking the movement of firing an arrow, "Won't it be so cool?"

  "D'ya hear that, Dixon, it'll be so cool?" Dean laughed, turning to the man.

  Daryl only scoffed, but the ghost of a smile on his face said otherwise.