↳ This Life

Suguru is the boy who said he loved you in high school. You're the girl who kissed him and said you love him too.

He's the boy who defected, killed a village full of people, and you're the girl who ran to his shattered best friend seeking comfort.

He's the man who betrayed everything he stood for, you're the woman who betrayed her betrothed.

Those thoughts stay with you as you enter your penthouse apartment, walk to your room, and stare blankly at your bed. A place that holds so many happy memories from the past several years.

Your mind races with memories of all of the intimate moments you've shared with one another in this spot. The times you've made love, the times of jealousy or anger - no matter what it's been, the two of you have always been brought back to one another.

Waking up each day next to Satoru, the soft morning kisses he would place on your lips, running his nose up and down the length of yours until you woke up.

Building a little fort with your sheets to hide from the golden rays of the early morning sun, giggling about something silly he said, or swapping stories about your students and how proud you are of them.

There are so many things over the past several weeks that could have been handled differently since you received the letter. You could have chosen to ignore it, stay in your blissful life with your fiancé, and have a wonderful wedding ceremony, and life together.

But you didn't, and now you have to face the consequences of your actions.

With a heavy sigh, you tear your eyes away from the bed and walk into the large bathroom, turning on the shower. There's an overwhelming desire to wash away the events of what happened tonight.

What you saw.

What you didn't stop.

The water is warm, cascading down your back as you lean your head against the cool tile of the shower wall.

Other thoughts plague your mind as well; how you've missed Suguru more than you've let yourself admit these past several years. How your heart fluttered when you went to visit him in his temple.

How he killed an innocent man tonight without a second thought.

Thoughts of how even then, you're not afraid of Suguru like you should be. How your heart still yearns to be by his side even after tonight.

Time is supposed to heal all wounds - that's what you're told at least. But this is more than that.

It's a hurt in the deepest parts of your soul that doesn't seem like it's ever going to go away. No matter how much time you've given it. No matter the new love you've found.

It's clear the universe isn't planning to give you more time to make your decision and sort out your feelings as you sense Satoru walking into your apartment after having been gone for so long.

Of course, he would come home tonight of all nights. When you need to be alone. To think.

You know the reason why he chose to come back tonight. There's no way he doesn't know, no way Tokyo Tech wasn't dispatched to the scene to investigate. Your residuals would have been present, and you'll have a myriad of questions to answer.

You'll easily lose your job, the life you have.

Panic begins to set in again and you gasp for air, running your hands over your face and turning the water colder to help try and mitigate the anxiety coursing through your veins.

Before you've realized he's undressed and joined you in the shower, you feel Satoru gently wrap his arms around your waist, pressing his forehead to the back of your head, pulling himself close to you.