take me to church

Start from the beginning

'It was my own stupid fault.' She admitted. 'I shouldn't have pursued her again. I know what I'm like.'

'Then you'll know how difficult it would have been for you not to take the opportunity to pursue her again.' You said. 'You have feelings for her, of course you'd have wanted to find a reason to get close to her again.'

'I know, I just wish I'd be stronger.' She replied. 'Now I feel like I'm back at square one trying to get over her.'

Emily pulled her lips in and tilted her head sympathetically.

'You'll get there.' She reassured her. 'You have before and you will again.'

'Yeah, there's somebody out there for you, Tara.' You joined in. 'Somebody that won't make you regret having feelings for them.'

'Thanks guys.' She said with a smile. 'I don't know how you two do it. You just met and fell in love. Whatever secret you're holding back, I want to hear it.'

'No secrets here.' Emily laughed. 'Just pure luck.'

'And a lot of bumps in the road, still.' You reminded her. 'I did almost die for this relationship, remember?'

'You're right.' Tara laughed. 'Maybe I should ask Luke and Ben instead.'

You laughed, all looking sideways to watch as Luke took shots over for himself and Ben, coaxing him to take it.

'I am sorry that happened though, Tara.' You said back to her. 'You deserve to find somebody who's certain they want you.'

'Thanks Y/n.' Tara flashed an appreciative smile at you. 'All the heartbreak wasn't completely wasted, though.'

'Oh yeah?' Emily asked.

'I asked Rebecca if she knew anything about Gold Star.' She told you both.

'And she did?' You asked preemptively.

'I'll say so.' She replied. 'Not that she was interested in telling me.'

'Wait, but...' Tara could see the cogs working in Emily's head, '...didn't Voit say that by his math him and Bailey were the only two that knew about it?'

'That's what I thought.' Tara agreed. 'But he must not know Rebecca does too, or she'd have surely been a target for Voit just like Bailey was.'

'Weird.' You remarked.

'Did she say anything?' Emily asked.

'She just insisted she couldn't, and wouldn't, talk about it.' Tara told you.

'So she's in on it too?' You checked. 'Whatever this Gold Star is?'

'It seems like it.' Tara confirmed. 'But I just can't understand why she seemed so... jumpy about it when I asked her. I think this is bigger than we even realise.'

'I mean... for Bailey to turn into a criminal for it and Voit to murder Bailey... was that not already obvious to us?' You asked.

'Yeah... I don't know.' Tara said, as she started to trace circles around her empty glass.

'All we know right now is that we've been working on this for 6 months and we're still nowhere closer to figuring it out.' Emily said, a hint of defeat evident in her remark.

'What are you doing over here?' Garcia shouted over the music. 'Come and join us!'

She grabbed yours and Tara's arms and started to pull you away from the bar. You immediately turned and grabbed onto Emily, pulling her with you.

As you reached everyone else, JJ rushed to hand out shots to you, Emily and Tara until everyone in the group had one.

'A toast!' Rossi called over the music. 'To Emily and Y/n, and of course to Ben and Luke.' He moved his shot glass out to either couples accordingly.

Everybody held their shot glasses in the air, you and Emily smiling shyly and reaching for each other with your free hands.

'May your hearts be so full of one another, you can never call it your own.' He smiled.

'To Emily and Y/n.' JJ repeated.

'And to Ben and Luke.' You held your shot glass in their direction.

You all clinked your shots together and took your drinks back.

As everybody began cheering through the harshness in their throats afterwards, Emily pulled you in for a kiss.

And in that moment, with her lips pressed against yours, and her hand spread across the side of your cheek...

...everyone else melted away.