Mumma and Papa

Kate

"I'm so excited to see you in your beautiful dress Pally bug." William said to Alice as he held her on his hip.

"And Mumma too?" she questioned, turning to me.

"Of course Mummy too." he smiled, looking over as well. I put my arm around him and smiled at the two of them.

"Come on Alice, we've got to go back to the hotel and get our beauty sleep." I told her, stroking her cheek.

"Bye Papa, I love you." she said, wrapping her arms around William's neck and squeezing him.

"I love you too Alice Bug. You'll look after Mummy won't you?" he asked as she pulled away.

"Of course Papa." Alice smiled. "The next time you see her will be on your wedding day." William put Alice down and pulled me towards him.

"I know, and I'm so excited." Will said, wrapping his arms around my waist and hugging me. "I love you." he whispered.

"Ew, no kissing Papa, Granny said you aren't allowed to in the church." Alice exclaimed.

"She means in the ceremony, anyway I need to practise kissing Mummy for the balcony tomorrow." William said, smiling at Alice as she giggled.

"Yuck." Alice commented as she rolled her eyes at the two of us. We kissed, giggled again and then pulled away from each other as Alice laughed. "Come on Mumma, Grandad said there's a big bath in our room." she continued. I nodded and took her hand as I smiled at William.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I said as he beamed back at me. "I love you." I whispered softly.

"I love you too." he replied, as Alice dragged my hand in the direction of the door we came in through. We got in the car that was waiting outside, with my mother and Pippa and were driven to the hotel. It was only ten minutes or so that we were in the car, but as we drove, Alice watched in awe, at the crowds that had already lined the streets in preparation for tomorrow.

"What are these people waiting for Mumma?" she asked innocently. Pippa scoffed slightly as if Alice were supposed to know.

"Pippa." my mother scolded to her, as I placed my hand on Alice's as she sat between my mother and I.

"They're here to see Papa and I get married, sweet." I said softly. Without saying a word, Alice just looked up at me, her wide blue eyes staring back at me. She blinked a few times, before shaking her head to herself and then looking back out of the window. I looked over Alice's head, to my mother, who looked concerned. She had always been so conscious of how much Alice should know about the life she will lead and the circumstances of the family she lives in. I guess she was worried, she had watched the press overtake my life at times and feared a similar thing for Alice. No matter how many times I reassured her that there wasn't much we could do, my mother insisted on being honest with Alice, while also being mindful of her age and how much she should know.

The road outside the hotel was packed full of people, and as we pulled in, I wished I had told Alice more about why all of these people were here. But there wasn't time now. The car stopped and driver got out to open my door, which I still wasn't used to. I climbed out, and Alice came out behind and clutched tightly onto my hand as we walked around the back of the car to join my mother and Pippa with the manager and owner of the hotel we were staying in tonight, who were there to greet us.

Alice