St Andrews

Kate

After Alice's Christening in Windsor just after Easter, William, my mother, Alice and I all travelled back up to St Andrew's. William and I were going back to university and for the first few weeks, my mother was staying to help us figure things out with Alice. Alice was now four months old, she had grown, but was still pretty tiny. The last four months had been hard, but William and I were finally into the swing of being parents and had figured Alice out. Once she was fed, she was happy, tended to be the golden rule with her. We flew from London to Edinburgh on the Monday after Alice's christening at the weekend and when we arrived in Edinburgh, there was a car waiting for us to take us to our house. It was a student house, which we shared with our uni friends Olivia and Fergus. We had offered to move out, not many uni students would be happy to live with a four month old baby, but both of them insisted it would be fine.

Olivia was in the living room, watching TV when we got back to the house and I walked in, with Alice on my hip.

"Hello gorgeous girls, how are you?" she said, getting up from the sofa and wrapping her arms around me.

"We're good, I've missed you." I replied, before pulling away.

"Oh Alice, you really are a beauty, aren't you?" Liv said, taking Alice out of my arms. "You go and help Wills out, I'll watch her." I thanked her before going back out to the car to help my mother and William to bring in our bags. We seemed to have so much stuff, but most of it was Alice's. Who knew there was so much stuff for someone so small? My mother was staying at a B&B down the road. William and I thought it too much to ask of Fergus and Liv to share the house with her as well, even if it was for just a few weeks. So while William unpacked Alice's things upstairs, I walked along the road with my mother to find her B&B. She had been up to St Andrews before, so was familiar with everything but it was nice to have a little while of just the two of us. That had been one of the things I'd missed, since Alice was born. Because either Alice was there, or William, and I missed the time I spent with my mother on my own.

"I can't believe when you left you had no idea you were even pregnant." Liv said that evening while Wills, Fergus, Liv and I were all sat in the living room with a glass of wine. Alice was asleep already and my mother at the B&B.

"I know, can you imagine, if you hadn't have gone to Australia and then you would have had her here?" Fergus agreed.

"Then you would have had Fergus delivering her on the kitchen floor." Liv laughed, causing Wills and I to giggle as well.

"I was just glad to not have her on the plane on the way there. That would have been the worst." I told them.

"Will Alice be the Queen someday? I didn't see in the news." Fergus asked.

"We don't know. My grandmother hasn't decided." William lied.

"It doesn't really matter to us though. We're just so glad both of you are back and you've brought Alice with you." Liv said.

"We've missed you guys as well. It's been weird, not being here." William agreed.

"Well, you've missed so much, I'll have to fill you in on the gossip." Liv said, turning to me as she did.

"I look forward to it." I told her

The following day, my mother came by and looked after Alice while Wills and I went into uni to meet with our tutors. Both of us had tried to keep up with as much work as possible while we'd been staying with my parents. But it was hard, being in a lecture was so much easier than reading the notes at home and having Alice around made it even harder. William and I were both determined to not miss too much.