Chapter One - The New School

It was a miserable Monday morning when she first traipsed along the worn uneven paving slabs towards her new school. In the distance she could hear the yells and voices of the other students. Her heart raced with frustration and anxiety.

She muttered under her breath as she reluctantly opened the scratched heavy door with some paint peeling off. Stepping inside she was greeted by one of the staff then told to sit and wait on one of the chairs in the office.
Not long after the sound of high heels was heard and in strode a rather slim woman with bleach blonde hair holding a clipboard. She turned to face her.

"Hello there!" she greeted "You must be our new year 8 student - Ashley Astley "

Ashley nodded

"I'm Ms Wagwinkle the deputy head, if you would like to follow me"

Ashley followed Ms Wagwinkle out of the office smirking at her name.

She was led through a corridor containing some rows of lockers and towards a staircase which a group of boys who appeared to be her age were loitering near.

"Let me introduce you to your Form Tutor, her room is upstairs in the PSHE classroom" Ms explained.
She was about to go up stairs when she noticed a squashed drinking can being kicked towards her.

"Boys, do you mind loitering somewhere else? And take that thing with you if you please" Ms instructed
The boys stood there staring at Ashley.

"Whoose that Miss?" A ginger, pale, freckled faced boy with a visable Welsh accent asked.

"This is one of our new year 8s Joshua, I'm trying to show her to her tutor so do run along now" Ms explained shooing him away.

Ashley followed Ms Wagwinkle up the worn-in marble steps.

"Here we are" Ms addressed catching her breath, swinging open the door "This is your form tutor, Ms Lavinyaburg"

Ms Lavinyaburg, a obese, short older woman came wadding over from her desk.

"Hello there Ashley" she greeted.

"It's almost tutor-time so you may as well stay here" Ms Wagwinkle informed her "Now I shall be off, I'm a VERY busy woman"

"Your desk is here opposite mine" Ms Lavinyaburg gestured walking over to a wooden table right at the front of the class on the right hand side.

Ashley traipsed over before sitting on the gray plastic chair sighing.

Ms Lavinyaburg sat back at her desk sipping a steaming cup of tea from her mug featuring a picture of a black and white cat.

Ashley sat there staring at her and observed all the items on her desk. By her computer was a stack of papers and infront of that a small calendar. Above the dates was a photo of two cats of different colours, curled up and sleeping by eachother. Next to the calendar was a even smaller photo inside a frame. It featured a younger Miss Lavinyaburg smiling cuddling a fat black and white cat.

Ashley now observed Ms Lavinyaburg's horrendous mismatched outfit: A long wavy swamp greenish skirt complemented by her basic brown slip on shoes and to finish off a blue shrunken knitted cardigan which was covered in cat fur and appeared to have fragments of it falling apart.

Ashley then noticed something else. She peered closer to see a small brooch of a black and white cat with a name under it

"Jess" Ashley accidentally read out loud.

Ms turned to face her "Oh you like my brooch? That's my cat, little Jessie" she told her "She... she went missing recently... "

"Oh" Ashley replied unsure what to say.