Finally, I picked my custom and the game of capture the flag began. Of course after a couple of rounds we stayed victorious with me on the team, but Landon wasn’t too bad himself.

“Jesus woman how the hell do you play like that?” Landon finally asked as we surveyed our kills and deaths and what not. Of course I was better them him, I learned from the best. Cole and I had played at least once every day of summer. It was our game.

I shrugged my shoulders to answer his question. It turned out to be the wrong thing to do. Suddenly, I felt Landon’s hands on my sides, his fingers digging in and tickling me. Shrieking, I tried to pull away but he was two strong. Pulling me back onto his lap, he moved one hand to my thighs and tickled me even more. I wiggled like crazy under his hold but it was no use.

“Stop!” I gasped letting out a few crazed giggles.

Finally, he let go of me and I flopped back onto the bed next to him. As much as the tickling hurt, it felt nice to be on his lap. Why did he do that?

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked crossing my arms over my stomach.

We were both laying back against a pillow facing each other. About a half a foot separated our lips and I did my best not to reach in and kiss him like I had wanted to for the past couple days.

He snickered. “You were being no fun; I just wanted you to laugh.”

This only made me frown because it reminded me of why I wasn’t having any fun. There was a reason I wasn’t having any fun. How could Landon have not figured it out by now? I basically told him I liked him.

“Look Mia forget about everything for just one day, forget about camp and that we know each other. Just for one day, and then you can be sad or grumpy or whatever you want to be. I just want to have one good day, and if you’re in a good mood, then I am too.”

Landon was closer now, his face right up by mine and I could smell the mint gum he was chewing on. I thought back to Julie telling me how he had to leave for a family emergency. Here I was acting all mean when Landon could be going through something horrible. What if his father died or something? I was being selfish with my feelings.

Nodding my head, I managed to smile. “Nice to meet you, I’m Mia.”

Landon snickered and his head dipped down a bit further. We were close enough to kiss, and my eyes focused down on his lips. After a few seconds of being too close, Landon jumped up from the bed and onto the ground.

“I’m not used to having strangers in my bed young lady,” he said with a chuckle. “I mean you don’t even know my name.”

My stomach was still turning from our almost kiss as I sat up and followed him out of the room. “By the way, the name’s Landon.”

Rolling my eyes, we shuffled down the stairs and back into the kitchen. I could smell the sweet aroma of delicious chicken and my mouth practically started to water. A lady with crazy red hair that was pulled back into a messy bun stood over the oven pulling out what looked like chicken casserole. She wore a plane white dress and a pretty blue apron. Landon took a seat at the table and motioned for me to join him. Assuming that the woman was Margaret, I sat down across from him and waited for the food to be placed.

“Where’s your brother?” I asked forgetting about the whole act Landon and I had been putting on.

Before he could scold me or say something witty, Margaret came by with the food. “The little turd is across the street at Mickey’s house. They said they would feed him.”

Landon nodded his head and smiled as the food was placed onto his plate. After my food was placed, Margaret poured us two very tall glasses of milk and scurried out of the room.