Chapter 3 - The Mission

Start from the beginning

"A government facility!" Her eyes widened and her brows raised. "Does that mean you work with the Avengers?"

Nick shifted in his seat and cleared his throat. "Closely," he hummed. 

"Oh wow. I've found quite a catch!" Scarlett chirped and sipped on her black coffee. She let a moment of silence pass them before striking again. "So, we're not in danger?" 

"It's confidential, Sweets."

"So is my number," she countered, a sly smile gracing her strong features. 

Scarlett watched with trained eyes as the gears in his mind turned. His internal debate began as she innocently drank her coffee, moving her gaze to the window when a flicker of doubt creased his brows. A spider's web is as delicate as it is deadly—the trick was for the fly to fly into it without knowing. Only once the prey started to panic could the spider strike.

Wait too long, and the fly escapes. Pounce too early, and the fly never falls into the web.

"There was a security issue. All I can tell you is to watch out for the next few days until we get it handled. Quietly."

"Why the secrecy?" 

"We don't want to cause a panic."

"What do I watch out for?" 

"Just- God, Scarlett, you'll get me fired," Nick sighed. "Be careful around house pests for the time being." 

There.

Scarlett mimicked the severity of his tone with a nod before she let her exterior lighten again. She pulled out a sticky note from her jacket pocket, careful with her movements so she could keep her strong body concealed. She slid it across the table, observing his excitement as his fingers latched onto the bait. Scarlett stood with the grace of a panther—always watching, always cautious. 

"You're going?" 

"You were the late one, Nick," she countered. "Next time, text me, hm?"

He laughed as she made her exit into the grey outside, his guilt following her like a phantom. Scarlett stole away his turmoil and left him satisfied with the little prize for his betrayal. With the alluring flick of her blonde hair, she could pull any information from him. 

Lonely flies are the most desperate.

Scarlett glanced down at her phone, a series of texts from Nick already flooding her screen. She saved his contact the way Scarlett would—Nick ⁽⁽ଘ( 0.0 )ଓ⁾⁾. The blonde hid her phone from the rain in the depths of her pocket. She allowed the rain to massage her tense muscles, seeping in through her skin and flooding the empty chambers of her heart. With gentle rainwater bubbling up her throat, she tilted her face to face the sky. 

When will I have my peace? 

A blue sedan pulled up beside her, casually tailing her until she reached the third light pole on the street. Scarlett dropped her deception when she opened the door, a coy smile pulling at her lips. 

"Right on time," Scarlett praised as she slid into the back seat.

"Couldn't leave a lady waiting," her driver teased. He wasted no time, starting the two of them on their journey home. "How'd he squeal?"

"Like a pig."

"You're good, Nat," Clint—otherwise known as Hawkeye—smiled proudly into the rearview mirror. He gasped, his blue eyes going comedically wide. She remembered why he was so good with interrogations in that moment, as those blue eyes seemed to pierce right into her soul. "Good golly-"