Chapter 1: Part 2

The next morning, I decided to go to breakfast on my own. Tora and I parted ways because she wanted to sleep in extra, but I didn't really eat a large dinner the night before, so I really felt like I needed some fuel for the day. 

Oddly enough, not many students were in the lodge for breakfast. Just Yuuki, Sora, and Ruji, actually. 

To my surprise, Yuuki was still handcuffed with Sora watching over him. I wasn't sure why it was so shocking, since the motive was still technically in effect, but I had hoped that we would give him a break and let him go eventually. 

Since Sora and Yuuki were together, I decided to stroll over to the opposite end of the lodge and sit by Ruji, who was eating alone, carefully poking at his food as if he was suspicious of it.

"Mind if I sit here?" I asked, grabbing a tray of food and placing it across from his. He seemed to flinch as if he didn't see me approaching. Perhaps he was lost in his thoughts. 

"Oh, y-you don't have to," he breathed. "I mean... you can sit with them if you want."

"I want to sit with you," I smiled, sitting down across from him. 

His gaze softened slightly as he took a bite out of his food. 

I briefly asked Ruji about Maikeru, since they were roommates. The ghostbuster simply shrugged and said that the security guard told him he had better things to do than get breakfast with him. 

The air felt warm and fairly calm, but I still had a small twinge of fear growing in my chest. Like something wasn't quite right.

"Have you seen any others this morning?" I found myself asking.

"I haven't seen Rantaro," Ruji explained quietly. "But Saikoro said that he was at the training center. I was going to head over myself, but it was too crowded over there."

"Who did you see?" I asked, hoping to make sure everyone was accounted for.

"Um, I didn't really keep track, but I know I saw Daiki and Kichiro in there. Well, not in there, they were kinda just standing by the entrance and observing. Oh, I also saw Brittany. Then, on the way out I passed Tora holding some more supplies. You two were building traps, right? I think that's a smart plan. I saw you guys carrying some supplies yesterday. I asked Maikeru if we should do that too, but he got kinda mad at me... I think he thought I was criticizing his abilities as a security guard. Which I definitely wasn't! I actually am super glad he's my roommate, he seems strong!"

He continued to ramble on, but my mind was stuck on what he said about Tora.

More supplies? Why was she getting more supplies? Our room was already fairly secure.

"Okay. So... that's Yuuki, Sora, Saikoro, Daiki, Kichiro, Brittany, you, me, and Rantaro accounted for then?" I asked.

"Not exactly..." Ruji trailed off. "Saikoro SAID Rantaro was at the training center... but I didn't see him there. My eyes might have just missed him, but I don't remember seeing his face."

"Really?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows.

"I-I'm not lying..." Ruji muttered, bringing his gaze down as if slightly offended.

"No, no, I didn't think you were!" I quickly exclaimed, not meaning to have hurt his feelings. "I just... found it weird, that's all. I believe you. I promise!"

"Oh, good," Ruji muttered. He smiled slightly, but I could hear the still timidness in his voice. I felt guilty. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings...

"I'm sorry..." I trailed off. "I really didn't mean-"