⁰⁴, RESCUE MISSION

Start from the beginning

  "Bunch of livestock goes missing, people get scared, make up a story," Vex said, "Ended up just being some normal ass street dogs."

  "Ain't what I saw."

  Vex shook her head, stopping only when she saw Jimmy reach for a gun.

  "You've never cleaned a gun, let alone shot one," Vex said, "No."

  "Well, if I'm goin' out, I want one."

  "Yeah," Daryl said, swinging his crossbow over his shoulder, "And people in Hell want Slurpees."

  The man walked off toward the stables quickly.

  "Why don't you come train tomorrow?" Shane suggested, "If you're serious, I'm a certified instructor."

  "I'd rather have Vex teach me," Jimmy laughed, nudging the woman.

  His humor dissipated when he met her glare.

  "You'd have better luck finding that chupacabra," She mumbled in passing.

  Vex made her way to the stables, hearing the rustling of a man who wasn't sure where anything was.

  "Tack's in that closet," She called, opening one of the stalls, "Just don't get that one, she--"

  "I 'on't need your help," Daryl mumbled in passing, hauling a saddle with him.

  "Sure seems like you do," Vex scoffed, retrieving her own saddle from the closet, "Borrowin' a horse, sleepin' on someone's front lawn--"

  "You gonna help find this girl, or you gonna keep your head up my ass?"

  Vex stared at him in utter disbelief, the man faltering but continuing on with tacking the horse.

  She left him without another word.

  "Hey, Hershel, I'm about to head out," Vex sighed, approaching the man with her horse, Mary, in tow, "I'll be back in a few hours, just wanted to let you know."

  Hershel nodded, only glancing over his shoulder.

  "Daryl took a horse," Vex admitted, "I should've cleared it with you before I did, I just. . ."

  "Ask for forgiveness, not permission, you always have, Vex," Hershel said, turning to her, "I want to be very clear on where I stand with these people."

  "I promise I'm the last person you have to explain that to," Vex laughed dryly, "I don't want them to stay."

  "But do you see how easy it is for that line to become blurred?" He urged.

  Vex took a moment, before nodding in agreement.

  "She'll buck him right off, you know that."

  "Kind of hope she does," Vex admitted, "He's stubborn and rude."

  "Well, it's not up to us to judge him, now is it?"

  Vex pursed her lips as Hershel rested a hand on her shoulder.

  "Make sure he and that horse get back tonight."

  "Yes, sir."

  Hershel nodded, waving her off, and Vex did not hesitate.

  🗡

  For the first hour of her search, it was the same thing as yesterday.

  Absolutely nothing. 

  Vex's hope was starting to dwindle; more than anything she wanted to find Sophia alive and well, but at the bare minimum, she wanted to be able to confirm to the girl's mother whether she was alive or not.