Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Whatever had happened to Theo before had absolutely traumatized him. To the point where he believed someone caring about him meant they were plotting something against him. All my actions toward him up to this point replayed in my head, and I understood why Theo had his guard up around me, even from the very first time we met when he'd thought I'd broken into his dressing room. I now understood why he seemed so hot and cold— like he'd begun to trust me, only to then do a one-eighty, putting his guard up again.

You're not the first who has broken into my dressing room and probably won't be the last.

Are you satisfied?

Did you get to see what you wanted to see? Or did you want something more from me?

My mouth went dry, my mind racing with scenarios of what could have happened in the past to Theo. Had all this been caused by his ex? The one that betrayed him? But what kind of betrayal could be so devastating?

Theo's hands flexed at his sides, betraying his discomfort at accepting my concern, his attention focused on the door to the cabin.

"Only four people know who I actually am," I said quietly. "Four people hold my deepest secret. One that I consider life-ruining if I were found out— overly dramatic or not, that's how I feel. I'd do anything to protect it. Anything."

Slowly, Theo's gaze returned to mine.

"You're one of those four that holds that secret," I told him. "You know something about me I don't want anyone else knowing. That you were never supposed to know. That I never would have told you because of how desperately I want to keep it hidden."

His controlled expression softened, confusion flickering across his face.

"I would never give you a reason to reveal who I am," I said pointedly. "You can trust that if nothing else."

"I already told you that I—" He cut himself off, voice faltering as realization settled into his features. "You want me to use it again you," he said, his voice dropping lower.

Before either of us could speak again, the door swung open, and Rowan swept in, carrying my laptop and backpack in one hand and an umbrella in her other. "I was going to make fun of you for being scared," she started, oblivious to the gravity between Theo and I, "but your cabin is creepy as fuck. Why is it so close to the woods? It's got weird energy, too."

Theo stepped away from me, his gaze lingering on me for one more moment, before taking my belongings from Rowan and setting them near the bed. "Thanks, Rowan."

"Thanks, Rowan," I parroted, seeing as how it was my stuff she'd brought. "And see? I had a reason for being scared last night."

Rowan gave a sympathetic pat to my shoulder as she came over to me. "Well, no worries. Theo will protect you tonight. From ghosts and from yourself. I have Maisie-falls-into-the-lake on my bingo card for tomorrow, so don't let me down. You checked my falls-down-a-mountain one today."

I scowled now, shoving her hand off me. "I didn't fall down the mountain. I tripped."

"Basically the same thing.

"No, it's not!"

"Rowan, let's step outside so Maisie can change," Theo said, cutting into our bickering.

Rowan, always so mature, stuck her tongue out at me as she went back to the door, joining Theo. "I'm headed back to my cabin. Night, Maisie. Don't let the New Jersey Devil get you."

"The what?" I asked, trying to pretend like my heart didn't pick up speed at the mention of some kind of devil.

The door closed behind her and Theo, leaving me without an answer. I glanced at the window, the pitch blackness of the night behind it, and then forced my attention to my backpack, afraid if I kept looking something would jump out. I hopped over to it, trying not to put weight on my injured ankle, and struggled through changing my clothes, falling onto the bed twice as I lost my balance.