Chapter Five | The Drama Queen's Charade

Chapter Five | the Drama Queen’s Charade

          “Julia was telling me how she had to chug Britney’s drink because Brits gets wasted after, like, the first sip,” Chrissie said, shoving her binder in the top shelf of her locker. “And I was like why the hell were you even playing that game ‘cause it obviously was you-know one of the games….”

          I zoned out examine the broad shoulders of Drew. His back was turned, but I recognize that guy anywhere. He has been avoiding me since yesterday. I mean, it wasn’t like the first day on of his girls questioned me and now I’m certain it won’t be the last.

          “I got to get to class,” I murmured, straightening myself up from my locker. I tugged on the hem of my shirt out of habit. “I’ll see you at lunch.”

          Chrissie looked at her wristwatch. “But the break isn’t over for five more minutes.”

          I ignored her, already beginning to make long strides toward Drew. His back was turned so there was no way he hell he could know I was coming, I mean it’s not like I am walking in an empty hallway. People were talking away, eating a snack of two or trying to cram for their test. Unless he was a frick’ superhero in disguise or a guy with impeccable senses, I’m pretty sure he or nobody would’ve noticed me. I was like a silent-but-deadly ninja.

          Drew was passing a basketball between his hands, chatting with his friend. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, and moved in beside him. “We need to talk,” I told him in a dead-serious kind of whisper. “Now.”

          Drew tensed and a nervous chuckle escaped his lips. I wasn’t trying to be scary, but it seriously pisses me off when someone doesn’t own of their mistake. It’s called responsibility—learn it.  “I’m busy.” He waved his hands toward his teammates.

          Though his teammates weren’t much of a great defense off the court and they quickly left. ‘Well aren’t they nice,” I said. “They know when it’s time for our talk.” I patted his shoulder with one of my hands, while my other arm was around his shoulder, to secure him from running.

          Of course, Drew was probably way stronger due to all his training, but I doubt he wanted to make a big show. “Look…Alli…”He took breaks between his words. He either was in serious pain or didn’t know what to say. The second one is more likely than the first

          I exhaled, deciding it was time to drop the tension…a bit. “I don’t care that you were hanging out with Katy.”

          “Then…” He turned to look at me, his brows furrowed. He had clear blue eyes that girls swooned over, and unfortunately, that category included me.

          “I just care that Chrissie almost found out,” I said ‘Chrissie’ quieter, hoping no one would pick up our conversation. “Why’d you have to be there? She could’ve seen you, you know.”

          The ball stopped moving in his hand and Drew inhaled sharply. “Fray, I didn’t expect you to be there.”

          “Either way there was a risk of Chrissie to find out,” I countered. What did it matter if I was there or not? It just takes one of us to screw up for the whole deal to blow up

          “What about you?” Drew looked down at the ball, and glided his hands along the black marks.

          “What?” My nose cringed. Why was the conversation turning towards me? It was Drew who nearly messed up.