Chapter 188 - Angered

Start from the beginning

He felt as though he had lost something he thought had belonged to him. Not only did it belong to someone else now, he wasn’t even allowed to take another look at it.

How did this happen?!

Kartik felt his headache worsen. He raised a hand and rubbed his temples, but the pain did not subside—on the contrary, he now felt as though a sharp needle were jabbing him in the brain, repeatedly.

“Professor Sen? Professor Sen?” Rashmi paled when she saw the look on Kartik’s face. “Professor Sen? Is it another migraine? I can give you a massage…”

Kartik responded weakly, “Come in.”

Rashmi’s heart almost sang out in joy. She opened the door and walked in.

It had been months since Kartik last allowed her to approach him.

She washed her hands, warmed them under the dryer, and then dabbed her fingers with a special massage oil. She stood behind Kartik and gently pressed the pressure points on his scalp.

Rashmi had learned how to do a head massage from the Sen family’s primary doctor, and she had learned it specifically for Kartik.

All was quiet in the study. Kartik did not speak, but his breathing gradually became easier. His face, too, regained its usual color.

Rashmi smiled slightly. She knew that her massage was working.

Kartik’s headache quickly went away. Rashmi had not picked up her massage skills in vain.

His expression was a lot more relaxed now. He tapped his fingers on the armrests of his chair as he asked: “You’ve tied
up all the loose ends in America?”

Rashmi was not only Kartik’s teaching assistant at Harvard Law School, she was also his personal assistant in India.

“All done. I’ve suspended your classes, and your doctoral students will be doing their thesis defense during the summer vacation. Once the summer vacation begins over here, all you have to do is fly back to America and grill them.” Rashmi was an excellent secretary; she was diligent, intelligent, and had gotten her position as an associate professor at Harvard University on her own, without any help from anyone else.

Kartik nodded. “Not bad…”

There was a brief pause. He asked, “How’s your wound?”

“A lot better…” Rashmi smiled as she added: “I’ve been using the ointment for gunshots wounds you got for me from your family. It’s very effective. It’ll take a few more days, but I believe there won’t even be a scar left.”

Rashmi had gotten her gunshot wound on Shehnaaz’s birthday; she had taken a bullet for Shehnaaz when she had shielded her from the Caribbean pirates. The bullet had almost killed her.

Kartik had previously threatened to dismiss her and send her packing, but the threats had stopped after she had taken the bullet.

However, he had kept his distance from her, and had
similarly forbidden her from approaching Shehnaaz.

When Shehnaaz was interning with the US Congress, Kartik had sent Rashmi back to Boston, to get her away from Washington.

After that, Kartik had made the decision to focus on his career at B University in India. He had
transferred Rashmi back into her role as his personal assistant to help him deal with all the paperwork.

Rashmi was immensely grateful to Kartik for this opportunity. She knew he was giving her one last chance to redeem herself, and she wasn’t going to blow it.