Part 2

"N-no that wasn't me." Caleb replied nervously, hoping the guy would believe his lie and leave him alone. When he didn't move an inch from the doorway, Caleb added, "I heard it too. I think it's the classroom next to this one." Then Caleb continued sweeping everything into a dust pan and throwing the contents into the open garbage bin, not paying attention to the boy anymore. If he acted like everything was normal and he wasn't the one singing, then he might be able to save himself some embarrassment, or a lot of embarrassment to be more precise.

When he finished the last chore for the classroom, Caleb went over to his bag and put it on. He saw that the boy wasn't there anymore and blew out a sigh of relief. He shut the ceiling fans then locked the doors to his classroom. When he turned around to head for the stairs, the same boy from before was standing right in front of him with his arms crossed.

Caleb yelped and jumped back. "D-don't scare people like that!" He said a bit angrily at the guy. He ignored Caleb and said, "No one else is on this entire floor except the two of us. If it wasn't you singing, then who was it?" At this point, Caleb tried acting all annoyed and in a hurry. Caleb walked around him and said, "Well, I don't know. Not my problem. Why are you even interested, it's just someone singing. No big deal." This statement hurt Caleb, especially since he was the one saying it himself. Not true at all, singing's amazing. Just tryna get rid of him. His thoughts reassured him.

Before Caleb reached the stairs, the boy called to him, "I'm Damian! What's your name?" Caleb just looked at him with a very tired expression. I already go through class introductions every year for every subject. Do I really have to humor you? However, instead of saying that, Caleb went with a different response since he didn't have the guts to provoke him, "Caleb. Now goodbye, gotta get home now." Caleb lazily waved his hand at Damian while walking down the first few steps.

When he was out of sight, Caleb made his face contort into a semi-disgusted, semi-exhausted expression. He didn't like interacting, especially with students he didn't know already.

Caleb made his way to the entrance of his school where he waited for his parents to pick him up. Ever since that day, Caleb made sure to always personally look around the entire floor during Thursdays to prevent another awkward encounter with other new people.

-------------------------------
ONE WEEK LATER
-------------------------------

Caleb was walking around the second floor of his school building, checking for signs of anyone still around. This time, he will not get caught singing. Not a single person was around. Most of the students were out of the building, hanging out while waiting for their rides. The others already commuted or left in school busses. Caleb headed back to his classroom, double checking every room again. Despite being in a well-off school, it didn't use any CCTV cameras inside the building, just outside and around it. Caleb was thankful for this since he didn't want to get called into the discipline office to be asked why he was creeping about the hallways.

When he reached the classroom, he quietly opened the door, entered then shut it behind him quietly as well. His cleaning group mates already left him behind, and much earlier than last week too. Those who said they promise to help more the next week didn't. This didn't bother Caleb though, he knew most of his classmates' promises were always empty anyway.

Same as last week, sweeping the floor was last on the list. Caleb brought out the broom and swept. This time, he hummed the whole time he was sweeping. He wanted to sing the words along with the tunes so badly, but he was still too afraid and paranoid from the last time he did that.

Even when humming however, Caleb sounded so precise, melodious and in key with the song he was humming. To his ears though, he thought made lots of mistakes when he performed his wordless song while cleaning up. Caleb finished up the sweeping and started organizing his things into his bag. He was still humming a song while he did this. He was about to sling his backpack around his arm, when the door to his classroom suddenly opened and the guy from last week, Damian if he remembered correctly, walked into the room.

Caleb dropped his backpack in surprise and drowned out his humming with a surprised yell. "Ahh! I told you stop sneaking up on people. It's very rude." This time, Damian gave an apologetic smile. He said, "Sorry about that." Then he seemed to realize why he stormed in there in the first place. "It was you humming just now, right?" He asked innocently. Caleb, flustered, decided to agree, "Y-yeah, so what? It was just so quiet in here I needed some uh... some tunes while I cleaned."

Damian then asked, "So it was you singing last week right?" Caleb was caught off guard by this and began to turn red a bit. He denied saying, "No, n-no. That wasn't me. How would you even remember something like that? It was just some random guy singing, nothing to do with me. Don't you have more important things to think about and do?"

Damian's reply was unexpected, "That singing voice is my important thing to think about. I'm looking for talented students to join a contest for the school." Caleb's mind instantly wandered as soon as he heard the word 'talented'. No one ever called his singing talented. Well, no one yet because no one has ever heard him sing, not even during birthday songs.

Damian noticed the sudden silence of Caleb and asked, "You interested in joining? The talent doesn't have to be singing you know." Caleb shook his head vigorously, "No no no no no, I'm fine thank you. I don't wanna be on some talent show competition contest uhh... thingy."

Damian smiled a little at Caleb's awkward response. "Well, if you ever change your mind... Humming is also kind of a talent!" This time Damian laughed. Caleb blushed even more in embarrassment.

Should I join?

Caleb's own thoughts surprised him. Did he actually want to join a competition? He knew he was a decent enough singer, but first of all, he knew he'd just be afraid and back out last minute, and second, he didn't want anyone's attention. He just didn't like it. It made him all embarrassed and ashamed even though there was nothing wrong with other people listening to him sing other than himself.

Then Damian said, "Well, if you ever find out who that mystery kid was that sang so greatly last week, tell me. I'm just usually in the classroom right above yours if you're wondering." Oh, that's why I don't know him. He's a ninth grader. Caleb thought. He knew everyone in his entire grade, even though it was just by face or by name. Ninth graders were on the third floor of their school building

Caleb replied, "Will do. Now goodbye again." He promptly left the classroom and headed for the stairs. He hoped he didn't have to have another encounter with Damian for the rest of the remaining three weeks before they were let out for their Christmas Holiday Break.

Please just leave me alone, Damian. Caleb thought to himself ruefully, I'm not talented. I'm not what you're looking for. I don't want others to hear me. I'm nothing special...

-----------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Hey there, thanks for reading this part! Comment, vote, or even follow if you want. It will mean a lot to me :) Hope you enjoy your day today, happy reading!!