¹⁷, A BARN IN FLAMES

Start bij het begin

"Hershel won't leave," Vex yelled into the thing, "Come on--!"

  Vex felt her rifle click empty, quickly swapping it out for her pistol.

  She'd run out before she got Hershel to leave, and with all the remaining annoying in Dean's truck, she had to make a choice.

"I'm going to my daughter," Vex told Hershel, "I hope you choose to do the same."

The woman took off quickly, sprinting as fast as she could, shooting her way through walkers if she had to.

Until she saw a familiar face.

"Vex!"

"Oh, my God, Rick!" She called, "Listen--"

"Lori, have you seen Lori?!"

"She's safe, she got out with Beth and Zep," Vex said, "Hershel won't leave, I couldn't get him to--"

"I got it, you go," Rick called.

"Here," Vex said, pressing the walkie into his hand, "I'll find someone-- you need it more right now."

Rick nodded, taking off toward the house as Vex ran the opposing way.

She picked off walkers as fast as she could, approaching the fence line with a trail of them on her.

"Vex!"

Daryl's rough scream drew her attention, his motorcycle approached her quickly, skidding to a halt.

"Come on--"

Vex Williams was on the back of it in half a second flat, turning to shoot the closest walkers as he took off down the road.

She lowered her gun once the distance felt safer, but remained still, watching the farm burn.

🗡

"You still have your walkie?" Vex called over the sound of the wind and the rumbling engine.

Daryl wordlessly grabbed the thing from her waistband, passing it to the woman.

"Anybody copy?" She called, "Daryl's takin' us back to the highway-- said it's where they broke down."

Vex could tell the radio had a response, but it was impossible to hear over the engine.

"Dammit," She cursed, holding the walkie, "The hell is this thing good for--"

"Hey," Daryl yelled over the sound, "Why don't you look up for a second?"

She did as told, the tension releasing from her spine when she saw Maggie and Glenn's car in front of them. Daryl sped up slightly, riding beside the car.

Zeppelin squished her face against the window in greeting her mother.

"Oh, my God," Vex breathed out, "Thank God."

Daryl breathed out, patting a hand on Vex's knee in assurance.

It wasn't long before Dean's pickup joined the ride, fully allowing Vex's heart rate to calm.

They pulled up to a familiar car, one surrounded by Rick, Carl, and Hershel, just as the two cars slowed behind them.

Vex stood quickly, turning to find her daughter stumbling out of Maggie's car. Zeppelin ran, embracing her mother tightly.

"Mom, I was worried you--"

"I'm right here, baby," Vex said quietly, not yet letting go of her daughter.