¹⁷, A BARN IN FLAMES

Start from the beginning

"I got the number-- it's no use," Daryl said as Maggie returned with shotguns.

"You can go if you want," Hershel said, loading his own gun.

"You gonna take 'em all on?"

"We have guns," Hershel said, "We have cars."

"Kill as many as we can," Andrea said, "And we'll use the cars to lead the rest of them off the farm."

"You serious?"

"This is my farm. I'll die here."

Hershel set off quickly.

"Alright," Daryl said, hopping over the porch rail, "It's as good a night as any."

"Hey," Vex said quickly, leaning over the railing, "Organized effort here-- I can take upstairs, pick off a few from afar, or I can go out there with y'all."

"Your girl's inside--"

"My girl's in danger," Vex cut Daryl off, "So what's the plan?"

The plan was actually rather simple.

The group paired off, each taking a vehicle, one driving and one shooting, circling off to pick off as many walkers as they could.

It had been a pretty obvious choice, but Daryl sided with Dean, agreeing that Vex should camp out upstairs.

Vex re-distributed the three radios, one with Daryl, one with Dean, Andrea, and T-Dog, and one with Vex herself; Maggie assured the woman she and Glenn would be fine without one.

"Dixon, on your right," Vex said as Zeppelin held the radio to her mom, the woman focusing her efforts on getting walkers before they got her people.

There were so many. Too many. Even with whoever started the barn fire drawing tons of them, there were hundreds more pressing on.

She quickly picked off a few that surrounded Maggie and Glenn's car, static cracking over the radio.

"There's too many," Andrea said.

Vex knew she was right, but kept on shooting.

"I see Rick and Carl," Vex said through the radio, "Just came out of the barn."

Vex picked off more, two specifically that followed Dean's truck which was still full of supplies.

"Thanks, V," He called over the walkie.

The walkers continued closing in, becoming uncomfortably close to the farmhouse.

Vex kept on for another minute, before pulling her gun back inside.

"Zep, get your bag, go with Lori," Vex said, "Do it, now."

Zeppelin nodded, tears welling in her eyes as she scrambled downstairs.

Vex followed the group downstairs; Beth, Patricia, Lori, Carol, and Zeppelin all ready to go.

But Hershel wasn't moving.

"Lori-- Carl's with Rick, I saw them," Vex called, "I'll get Hershel, you guys have to go!"

"Vex--"

"Go, now!"

The women didn't argue further, quickly turning to run.

"Hershel, we have to leave," Vex said, shooting alongside the man, "Right now, we have to go right now!"

"This is my farm!"

Vex felt her panic swell as the walkers kept coming, as they grew closer.

"We picked up Carol," Dean's voice crackled over the radio. "Think Mag and Glenn got Beth, Zep, and Lori."