¹⁵, A FAMILY AFFAIR

Start from the beginning

  Zeppelin nodded eagerly, tugging Carol toward the house.

  "Daryl and I'll take Randy out today," Rick told Vex, "We'll be back late, though- can you take watch with T-Dog when you're back?"

  "Nothin' I'm better at," Vex smiled, nodding to T-Dog who grinned in response, "Alright, we'll be back in 'bout two hours."

  Rick nodded, patting Vex's shoulder as she passed.

  The woman loaded up rather quickly, only after scarfing down some food. Dean had gathered a couple of empty bags, as well as some empty boxes, and loaded them into the bed of his pickup truck. 

  "We're getting everything?" Vex asked.

  "That's the plan unless it doesn't all fit," Dean laughed.

  "We really doin' this?" Vex questioned, leaning on the truck, "Are we really putting all of our eggs in this basket?"

  Dean nodded, putting a hand on her shoulder.

  "Carol adores Zep," He started, "Rick's already puttin' faith in you. You saved Daryl's ass, and he's takin' your kid out huntin'. You're already there, V. You just haven't spent the time with them yet."

  "Because, I know I can't sign up to protect this many people, it's us before--"

  "There's no 'us' and 'them' anymore," Dean said, "Zep comes first, I understand that, and I'll stand by you on for the rest of her damn life. But it's not about you protecting them or not. We're all together, now, Vex. It's about protecting each other."

  "We had such a safe life."

  Dean sighed, shaking his head.

  "Dean, I'm just saying, a fucking bunker is--"

  "It's not gonna last."

  "What?" Vex creased her brow, "What do you mean?"

  "I mean solar panels only last so long when someone doesn't know how to fix them," He said quietly, "A water filtration system, too. Those things go while we're in that house? We're locked inside a metal box until we starve to death."

  Vex let out a long breath at this revelation.

  "You didn't-- you didn't learn how to take care of that shit?"

  "Of course, I didn't, Vex," Dean said, flinging his arms out, "I went to an art college and then lived off the money Dad left me, I'm not a survivalist, I was just a fucking nutcase!"

  Vex laughed in disbelief.

  "We would've had to leave sooner or later, and with a group like this, we'd be stupid to pass it up," Dean urged.

  "You," Vex pointed, "Are such an idiot."

  "I thought we already established that," Dean stressed, "Listen, there are things I can do-- I can hunt, shoot, damnit I am wonderful at following directions. But surviving on my own, without any real knowledge of generators and plumbing and electricity. . . I can't do that. I'm no good for it. And I am sorry, okay? I am sorry I didn't learn the shit when I could, and I didn't make the right choices, but the one I'm makin' now, the one I'm asking you to make-- I think it's the right one, V."

  Vex chewed the inside of her cheek, crossing her arms.

  "I'm driving," She said, snatching the keys from him, before thumping him on the back of the head, "And you're literally never in charge ever again."

  "I didn't think I had been in charge," Dean laughed.

  Vex scoffed but hopped into the driver's seat as Dean joined her in the passenger.