¹³, A BASIC UNDERSTANDING

Start from the beginning

  "My mom is," Zeppelin said quietly.

  "Yeah?" Randall said, his face lighting up, "You're-- you're lucky you still got your family. I lost mine. . . Hey, I-- I don't know what people been saying about me, but I didn't do nothing. I swear."

  Carl started climbing down the hayloft, and Zeppelin decided if she followed him this far, she may as well keep going.

  "Your dad was gonna let me go till his friend started fighting with him," Randall continued, "It got pretty bad. I-- I was kinda worried. My camp, we got lots of supplies. You help me, I'll take you and your folks back to my people. Your friend and her mom, too. We'll take good care of you."

  Zeppelin and Carl stood feet from him now, the girl reaching out to grab Carl's hand in fear he'd go even closer to the man.

  "Keep you safe," Randall said, "Just gotta-- just gotta help me get out of here, okay? Just help me pick these locks or find a key, okay?"

  "We can't do that," Zeppelin denied, shaking her head, "We have to go--"

  "Come on, please?" Randall said, yanking against his chains, "Please?"

  Zeppelin attempted to pull Carl back the way they came, but the boy was unmoving, sending a tidal wave of panic through Zeppelin's body.

  Until the door swung open and Shane barged in.

  "What the hell are you two doing in here?" Shane questioned harshly, standing in front of the kids, "What did you say to them? What did you say to them, huh?!"

  Shane grabbed the man by his throat, pinning him to the wall and pressing a gun to his face, attempting to force it into his mouth.

  "Okay, Shane, not now," Andrea tried, "Shane. Shane!"

  Zeppelin Williams had not let go of Carl's hand. She hadn't looked anywhere but at Randall and Shane, until Andrea blocked her view. And she hadn't even realized she was crying until she felt the wetness on her face.

  "Back off!" Andrea said, finally earning Shane's compliance.

  "Get your asses out this door, let's go."

  Zeppelin felt a wave of panic as Shane pushed her and Carl out of the barn, her hand being forcefully separated from his.

  "Please don't tell my parents," Carl said quickly, "Or Zep's--"

  "Carl, that ain't cool, man. You could've gotten hurt in there."

  "I can handle myself," Carl argued.

  "Yeah, what about your girl there, huh?"

  Carl looked to Zeppelin, whose eyes were still welling with tears, arms wrapped tightly around herself.

  "I can guarantee this won't her idea, just lookin' at her face," Shane continued, "You put her, and yourself in danger."

  Carl didn't have an argument for that one.

  "Think you learned your lesson on your own," Shane said to Zeppelin, "Go."

  Zeppelin looked to Carl, who gave her a single nod, and then she went.

🗡

  Zeppelin Williams was, honest to God, on her way to her mother.

  She made it to the farmhouse, only to be stopped by one Daryl Dixon.

  "Goin' huntin'. You comin'?"

  Daryl hiked his crossbow higher on his shoulder, faltering when Zeppelin sniffled, wiping her face with her sleeve.

  "You. . . you alright, kid?"