¹², HUNGOVER INTERROGATION

Start from the beginning

  She'd heard the shouting, from both parties-- and heard Randall call her name more than once.

  But Vex waited for Daryl.

  "Ooh," Vex winced as she entered, seeing Randall's bruised face matching Daryl's bloodied knuckles, "Hey, I warned you."

  She looked down, also noticing Daryl had removed the bandages from his freshly healing wound.

  "How many people are in your group, Randall?" She questioned.

  "30," He answered quickly this time, "30 men."

  "Where?"

  "I-- I don't know," Randall said, his eyes bulging when he saw Daryl unsheath a knife, "I swear-- I swear-- we were never anyplace more than a night."

  "Just scavenging?" She questioned, "Looking for a place to set up camp?"

  "I-- I don't know," Randall said, "They-- they left me behind."

  Daryl was growing agitated, with both the boy's hesitation to answer, and Vex's relaxed attitude about the whole thing.

  He moved toward the boy, ready to take over the whole thing again, but before he could, Vex Williams kicked a boot between his collarbone and shoulder, earning a scream from Randall.

  "You-- you broke my shoulder!"

  "It's just dislocated, you pussy," Vex scoffed, "Just start talkin'."

  "Listen, I--"

  Vex set a foot on his knee, pressing on the fresh wound.

  "Wait-- wait!" He yelled, breathing heavily, "They-- They have weapons. Heavy stuff, automatics. Bu-- But I didn't do anything!"

  "Your boys shot at my boys, tried to take this farm," Daryl yelled, "You just went along for the ride? You tryin' tell me you're innocent?"

  "Yes!" Randall shouted, taking a breath before continuing, Vex's foot still hovering above his knee, "These-- these people took me in. Not just guys-- a whole group of 'em. Men and women, kids too-- just like you people. Thought I'd have a better chance with them, you know?"

  Vex retreated as Daryl did, the two standing over the boy, side by side.

  "But. . ." Randall said, swallowing harshly, "We go out, scavenge-- just the men. One night we-- we found this little campsite. A man and his two daughters. Teenagers, you know? Real young. Real cute."

  Vex felt a fire ignite in her stomach.

  "Their daddy had to watch while these guys-- they--" Randall said after a long moment, "And they did even kill him afterwards. They just-- they just made him watch. As his daughters. . . just-- just-- they just left him there."

  Randall looked up, meeting the cold stares of Vex and Daryl.

  "No, but- but-- but I didn't touch those girls. No I swear--"

  Vex's fist met the boy's face before he could finish his sentence. She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, sitting him back upright, her nose inches from his.

  "But you watched?"

  Randall didn't speak.

  "Then you're just as guilty."

  "No, no, I ain't like that! Please, you gotta believe me--!"

  Daryl Dixion watched as Vex Williams beat Randall to unconsciousness, and he let her.

  He allowed himself to be guilty of her crimes because he knew damn well if she hadn't, he would have.