S3E9: The Aftermath

Reading time: 20 minutes

Warning: a bit of swearing, anxiety, my headcanons, my grammar
TW:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ever since you attended Zane's funeral Auntie and Dareth moved in with you, you didn't know if it was Garmadon's generosity or Auntie's threats but either way you had two more people watching over your head for the time being.

Just as you expected, the 'later' Cole promised you came a little over a week since the last time you saw each other. But when it came you were meet with a surprise. "What are those for?" You asked, grabbing the rose bouquet from his hands.

Cole scratched his neck while looking away, "Running away?"

You blinked and furrowed your brows. "I sent you away"

"Well, yeah, but that felt... wrong. Like I shouldn't just leave my partner alone after..." He sucked in a breath, clearly not wanting to think about your dead friend. "You know..."

"You didn't need to" You said referring to the roses, you counted fifteen of them, they were all pink.

"I wanted to" Cole smiled at you, kind of apologetically but mostly with admiration. He could tell by the sparkles in your eyes you really liked the present, and it was oh-so cute! He cleared his throat and looked away realizing how long he has been staring at you for, thankfully you were too busy admiring the bouquet to notice. "Actually, I didn't come here just to give them to you" You looked at him, a little surprised. "Do you have time? Like, right now?"

"Hmm, I guess so. Why?"

"Well, I want to take you on a date!" He laughed a little. "We haven't had one for some time now and I thought it's about time we do"

You stared at him, trying to remember the last time you went on a date. It was about a week and a half before the whole ordeal with Overlord coming back and wanting to kidnap Lloyd, which is quite some time ago. You smiled at your boyfriend. "Where are we going?" You asked, wanting to know if you should change and if so what clothes to pick.

"The park? I was thinking we could have a picnic" The teen pulled out a basket, you noticed a folded blanket laying on it, it was the same one he bought for you (and kind of himself) right after you started dating. You couldn't help but smile even wider while your cheeks became pink. "Nya helped me out with some of this stuff, said it'd be a disaster of an apology date if she just let me handle the food all by myself" He rolled his eyes, making you giggle. He yet again looked at you and smiled with admiration in his eyes.

"Course she did. Let me grab my hoodie and we can go" Cole gave you a nod and you quickly run to your room, passing the kitchen along the way. The three adults looked between each other with smiles, they, for one, agreed with Cole on the 'running away' thing and were happy he apologized for that. As soon as you had your hoodie you went back to Cole and the two of you walked to the park while holding each others hands.

The walk itself was very nice, for a moment it felt like everything was back to normal, like one of your friends didn't die just a week ago. While picking up a spot to sit you noticed Amanda and her father setting a picnic on their own, the man waved at you with a smile and you two returned it, neverminding how the little girl was pushing her plush sheep into the basket with more force than necessary.

After a few minutes you had everything set and your date could officially begin. You had a really good time, Nya made Cole's usually inedible cook-makings actually edible! They still weren't the greatest but it was better than ever before and you just had to appreciate the effort. "This one," Cole pointed at a cookie you grabbed and was about to put in your mouth, "I actually made all by myself. I mean, Nya was watching over me but, yeah, this one is entirely mine" He exclaimed proudly. You smiled at him and took a bite. Yep, you could feel the difference in the taste from the rest, but it still was a bit better than normal.