|5|

Today was the weirdest day ever

Today was the weirdest day ever. Crew and some of his friends sat with me for the last five minutes of lunch, wild! I hated all of this attention I was getting after lunch, but it felt nice to have people other than my boss talk to me.

The only thing I wondered was why did Crew over and try to talk to me? I knew I was his waitress, but that was all. We weren't best friends, matter of fact, we aren't even friends. I mean, sure, he is cute, but he could never like me.

I unlocked the house door, making my way inside to the kitchen. I look in the fridge for a snack, or anything to eat for that matter. None. Great.

I didn't work today, so I had to find something to eat. My parents are busy with their lives, to even acknowledge that we don't have any food. They are too busy always avoiding each other, so they get home later, already fed from who knows where.

I dial my favorite Chinese restaurant. "Hello, pick up or deliver?" They answer.

"Pick up," I reply. I give them my order, and they give me the time to pick up. I took a quick shower, since I didn't have to wash my hair, and start my homework. I didn't have a lot of homework today, thank God!

I look at the time, only thirty minutes passed by since I ordered. I was so hungry, my stomach started growling. I decided to go to barns and nobles to pass some time. Once I got there, I picked up two books and an ice tea from the cafe, before driving to the restaurant.

I waited in line, going through social media. "Dehlia!" Someone shouts my name, my eyebrows arch in question. I look around the store, seeing if I know anyone. I don't.

I guess they were calling someone else or I was hearing things. I felt a tug on my purse, looking down I saw a younger boy.

Max?

"Oh hey Max! What are you doing alone?" I ask, squatting down to his level.

"I saw you outside and I wanted to say hi." He said, smiling, holding his shirt.

"Who are you with?" I ask.

"My dad, he was talking to a girl." He said, smiling and showing me his missing teeth.

"Okay, let me get my food, and then we will go find him." I say, standing up, holding his hand. Once I grab my food, I take Max and I outside.

"Do you know which store he was at?" I ask, turning to look down at him. I looked around the outlet.

"I think it's the red one." He said, pointing to Target. I nodded my head and started walking with him to target.

"Can you pick me up? My legs hurt." Max asks, looking up at me. I chuckled, picking him up and putting him on my hip and my food in my other hand.

When Max and I looked for over twenty minutes, we couldn't find his dad. Now I was stressing out. Wouldn't his dad be worried by now?

"I don't want my dad. I want Crew." Max said, tears in his eyes.

"Okay, okay. Do you have a tablet or anything to talk to your brother?" I ask. Most kids have tablets, maybe he does too. Max shook his head.

"Alright, do you know where your brother would be?" I ask, hopefully.

"No." He replied, now sobbing.

"Alright, don't cry, we will find him." I said comforting him and myself. I didn't know what to do, and I had no idea where he lived. Suddenly, I remembered football.

Practice! That girl said something about she couldn't pick up Max for Crew's practice. God, I hoped I was right.

"Okay, let's go to Crew's school." I said to Max. He wiped his wet cheeks and nodded his head, holding his bear.

Shoot! I didn't have a car seat. At least school was a five minute walk. I didn't want to endanger Max in any way. We walked for about five minutes before reaching the school. Once I saw football players, I sighed in relief.

"Football, football!" Max chanted, clapping his hands. I smiled and walked down to the fields. This was going to be so embarrassing.

"Hey, private practice!" An older looking man shouted at me.

"I know, but it's important. I need to talk to Crew." I said, shaking from nerves. He rolled his eyes and mumbled something before shouting Crew's name.

"Crew, get over here!"

Without looking at anyone but his coach, Crew ran over here, out of breath. The older man gestured his head towards me.

"Max, what the hell are you doing here?" Crew asked, looking at Max, then me.

"He got lost from his dad. We tried looking for him, but couldn't find him. So we walked here." I said. Crew groaned.

"I'm so sorry Dehlia, my dad's a fucking pain in my ass." He mumbled.

"It's fine, Max saw me. So it's good that he came to me." I said, trying to help the situation.

"Crew, I want to go home." Max cried again.

"Bud, I have to finish practice. We can on ten minutes. All right?" Crew said, ruffling Max's hair.

"Okay." Max sniffed.

"Thanks, it means a lot that you did that." Crew said, looking at me now. I nodded my head before putting Max on the grass.

"No problem, bye Crew."

"Bye Dehalia!" Max yelled.