Chapter 17 | Fever Dream

Start from the beginning

You stared at him. "Did we go to the doctors?" You asked him as he nodded. "We were there all of Sunday we just got back yesterday...you don't remember?" 

"Kind of..."

You looked around and back at Ponyboy who was still knocked out. You noticed the bandage wrapped around his head. You must've looked concerned because Darry explained to you that Ponyboy had a concussion when he got kicked by a Soc the night of the rumble.

You stared at Pony, the thought of him kissing you flooding back in your mind as well. Your cheeks reddened a little but Darry couldn't tell, because apparently your face was already flushed from being sick. And like Ponyboy sensed you watching him, he shuffled a little bit before opening his eyes.

"Hey Ponyboy." You said lazily. "Thank God your up, you almost had me scared to death." Darry told him. "Hey guys." Pony said rubbing his eyes. He groaned a bit, you could tell he was still recovering.

Darry explained a butt load of information to you two. Of course you were all aware of Dally's passing. He told you both stories about your treatments, how the boys were worried about you, especially Sodapop. 

"Hey where is Soda?" Ponyboy asked. You shook your head, he is just so predictable at times. "Hopefully asleep, he hasn't gotten much rest." Darry said, just as his hopes were denied by Sodapop bursting through the door.

"Ponyboy! Y/n! You're finally up." Soda said grinning from ear to ear. He too looked tired, dark circles lined up under his eyes. 

"I was so worried about you two you know that?" Soda asked. "I bet you didn't even get 24 hours of sleep at all did you huh Soda?" You asked him as he chuckled. He talked to you both for half an hour before he offered to make you both mushroom soup.

"Sure that sounds alright." You and Pony said together as the brothers smiled. "They're back!" Soda said before exiting the room. 

Darry looked over at the both of you, healthier looking but still exhausted. "Well I better go help him. Do you two mind?" He asked. You both shook your heads as he gave a quick smile before leaving the room.

"Wait Darry?" You stopped him in his tracks. "Yes?" "My mom didn't- well she didn't uhm, you know..." you started as Darry gave you a sort of pitiful look and shook his head. "Thanks anyway." You said kind of disappointed as he nodded and left the room.

Once they did you and Pony laid back down on your pillows, under the warm and comfy covers. Your back faced him for a bit before you turned over to meet his face. His eyes almost wide like he was in awe.

You stared at him. You wanted to ask what was wrong because knowing him, clearly something was. But you didn't. He must've known cause he shared with you anyways. "Y/n what if they take me away from my brothers and put me in a boys home?" He asked, his greyish-green eyes still locked with yours.

"Don't worry about that right now Ponyboy. It'll be ok I promise. No matter what happens your brothers will be your brothers, and I'll always be your best friend. Ok? We can talk about this later if you'd like but I'm a little tired." You told him after yawning. He nodded and curved the right of his lip a bit before his eyelids began to flutter. 

And by time Darry and Soda came in with the mushroom soup, you both were knocked out (no pun intended).

...

Days had passed by and you and Ponyboy were still stuck inside the house. Ponyboy was instructed to stay inside the bed while you were eventually free to roam the house, but not a foot outside. 

And over time the boys noticed one thing with you; something you didn't usually do. Something they weren't used too often. Silence. Complete and utter silence. 

As the days went on your talking came to a minimum. After you woke up on Tuesday that was about the last time they'd heard you speak in full sentences. Then you went on to a couple words. Then a 'yes' or 'no' if necessary. Now, you don't speak at all.

A full week was almost to an end and you'd been completely silent for three days in a row now. 

You could tell Ponyboy was miserable. Not only did he have to stay in his bed but his best friend wouldn't talk to him. Not that you wanted him to feel bad but you couldn't. Whenever someone asked you a question that couldn't be answer with a yes or a no, you could never form your mouth to say the words.

Randy had come over earlier this afternoon to talk to you both, mostly Ponyboy because he could actually respond. The meeting ended with Darry escorting Randy out kindly after Ponyboy went a little berserk when he mentioned Johnny's death. 

You hugged Ponyboy to calm down after everyone left, you felt bad that it was all you could do too. You usually could comfort him with your words but, well you get gist. 

After you did Ponyboy decided to rest his eyes and lay down. You tried reading a book, coloring, and writing like usual but you just weren't  feeling it this time. 

You slammed your notepad shut (not loud enough to wake Ponyboy) and slowly exited the bed after slipping on your socks. You opened the door and made your way into the kitchen to see Sodapop with his head down on the table. 

You were able to grab his attention by pulling out the chair next to him, and sitting down. When he looked up at you he smiled a bit. "Oh hey y/n, what's up?" He asked. You tilted your head as if asking him what was wrong, he knows you and Ponyboy's "secret" language too. "Nothing's wrong I'm fine." He said. At this you cocked your eyebrow and gave him a slight side eye.

"What?" He sort of laughed. You gave him a look that he couldn't explain, good enough to make him want to tell the truth though. "I don't know. Maybe because tomorrows the hearing. Darry's trying to keep himself together for me and Ponyboy. And I'm trying to keep myself together for Ponyboy because he's already in a manic state sometimes." Soda said as you nodded. "And you know sometimes I feel in between them. Well just this morning they were already at it again like old times, you saw. Maybe I want things to go back to normal, but some things have to change too."

You patted his back as a way of showing sorrow and understanding. "Thanks for listening. Gosh I hope you can talk again." Soda said shaking his head. "Darry's so worried about you. Both of you. But I had to talk him out of taking you to the ER today. He thinks it's something real serious. I don't think so, just some shock. Unless you think it's serious...do ya y/n?" He asked as you shook your head with a force and furrowed your brows.

"Good. I just wanted to let you know though that we all love you y/n. You have nothing to worry about. Sure we all feel bad, we love everyone. We're still trying to get over it too. But it's hard and we know it. But right now we just have stick together and hope for the best, ok?" Soda said. You gave him a warm smile and a hug that lasted for thirty seconds, yet you could've held on forever. 

"Thank you y/n." Soda said as you got up and pushed your chair in. You walked to the entrance of the kitchen and looked at Soda. You forced your lips to form the words, it was easier this time. "Thank you Sodapop." You said. His eyes widened a bit before he smiled and nodded. You made your way back to the room to see Ponyboy rubbing his eyes. 

"Good morning Ponyboy."