one

one

"Ugh I'm still on my period" I complain to my best friend Moorie as I finish packing my suitcase.

"You've been on it for like a week and a half, you should be done by tomorrow," She says snuggling into my brother, Kole, on my bed.

"What does a period even feel like?" Kole asks.

"Sometimes it's not as bad as people say it is, but it still hurts," Moorie says.

"Thank god I'm a man," Kole laughs and Moorie hits him on the arm.

"Oh Moore did your mom say yes to you coming over for the 4th?" I ask her as I decide on what bathing suit to pack.

"She said yes. She also said she would let me go down anytime if y'all say yes," she tells me.

I throw both bathing suits into the bag and start rummaging through my drawers to find my wet suit.

"Can we just talk about how hot you got this year Rae?" Moorie asks.

"I know, I know. I just feel better you know? I was sick of people making fun of my weight, or my hair, or my acne. Enough was enough," I say as I find my wetsuit and pack that, and a cute hoodie I found.

"I'm glad you feel better, but you have to wait at least one day to sleep with anyone," Kole demands.

"How is that fair?" I ask.

"I'm giving myself the same rule," Kole tells me.

"Ugh," I groan and close my suitcase.

"Hey didn't you want to borrow my sandals?" Moore asks.

"Oh yeah can I have them?" I ask and she takes them off her feet and throws them at me.

"Thank you," I say and pack them. 

I sit on the foot of my bed and stare at the two most important people in my life. Summer was always the hardest time for me, because I had to leave Moorie, but also because I was always made fun of by three kids. Their names are Steven, Jeremiah, and Conrad. I had to be with them every summer because all of our moms were best friends. They always made fun of me for my flaws, but this year I want to make sure they can't say shit. I was never really close with the boys. I was closer with Steven's sister, Belly. I was exactly a year older than her (we have the same birthday), and she was my summer bestie.  

"I don't get to see my two favorite people until the 4th," Moorie complains, throwing her head back. 

Me, Moorie, and Kole have all been friends since we were in 3rd grade. Our moms were never close though, so we didn't really have the option of Moorie's family coming with us. Now that she's old enough to take the bus by herself, we can see each other a lot more.