VIII - Don't Turn Off The Lights

𝐈 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 a step back, unable to tear my eyes away from the horrific scene in front of me. The creature, the man with no face, hunched over the deer's remains. It rips into the deer's soft flesh, devouring the insides as blood sprays everywhere. The brutality of the attack causes me to draw in a shocked gasp, my stomach churning in revulsion at the sight.

As I back away, gradually decreasing the distance between me and the creature, I accidentally step on a fallen tree branch, causing a loud snap to ring through the woods. My body freezes, terrified, as I wait for the thing to turn its attention towards me.

Immediately, the creature whips it's head around facing directly at me, at least I think. My eyes widen in shock and panic begins to wash over me, my heart pounding in my chest.

I don't waste another second, before I'm running as fast as my legs can take me.

"Nancy?!" I yell frantically into the thick, dark forest, hoping desperately that someone would answer my call. But, I'm met with only silence.

"Jonathan?" I cry out again, spinning all around, in hopes of spotting them, but the dense haze and floating particles makes everything so hard to see.

"This cannot be happening..." I whisper, feeling desperation and fear surge through me.

Suddenly I hear them, "(Y/n)?!"

Nancy.

"(Y/n), we're right here!"

Jonathan.

"Guys!!?" I cry again, "I'm here, I'm right here!"

"Just follow my voice!"

Just as I'm turning around, I see the creature once more, it's face covered in drool and poised to attack. Before I can react, it opens its mouth, releasing a loud screech in my direction. The sound causes my stomach to twist and my blood to run cold.

I let out a blood-curdling scream before running behind a thick tree in attempt to save myself. I listen as the creature stalks past the tree, my heavy breathing and racing heart sending me in a panic as I become convinced that the creature can hear my every move. I feel my muscles ache with tension as I remain silent and still, waiting for the moment that thing is far enough away for me to safely make my next move.

"(Y/n)! Follow my voice!!" Nancy's voice faintly yells.

I make a desperate run for safety, heading furiously toward the muffled cries of Nancy and Jonathan, who I know are nearby. I reach the tree where I originally crawled through and without hesitation I throw my crowbar through. Then I throw myself down to my hands and knees, immediately beginning to frantically crawl through the narrow opening, all in attempt to escape the terrifying creature.

I blindly reach out, and someone takes my hand. Then I reach out my other arm and someone else grabs that one too. I feel myself being pulled through the slimy opening, dropping to the ground with a thud. Nancy and Jonathan rush over and both pull my into a desperate hug. I cling onto them as tears flow down my cheeks, my body wracked with sobs as the two of them hold me closely.

"It's okay."

"We're right here."

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

Nancy had handed me a towel and now, wrapped in its warmth, we all sit silently on her bed. Our gazes flicker to the ground, unable to meet one another's eyes for fear of what we've just seen. And so, we sit there, not saying a word, processing the traumatic events, the only sound being the soft rustling of the towel around my shoulders.