Girl Meets Father

Start from the beginning

"Ms. Hart." Cory said, as he began to hand out our tests, "Mr. Friar, nice work." "Thank you, sir." Lucas said, taking the test. "Mr. Farkle." Cory said, handing the test to Farkle. "'A' number seven hundred. Huzzah!" Farkle shouted, and blowed on a noisemaker. "You," Cory said, handing the test to Riley, "Ms. Hart." He walked away to hand out the other tests.

I looked down at my mark, and as always, I got a "A-". I placed my test down, and looked up at Maya. I noticed she was staring at her test. Like she was in some sort of trance.

"You okay?" Riley asked, noticing Maya's behavior. "He gave me an 'F.'" Maya said, still in her trance. "That's nuts." Riley mumbled, but Maya and I heard her. "Yeah. You're a solid "D" student." I agreed.

"Mr. Friar, I took particular note of your position that evolution does not preclude the existence of how did you put it?" Mr. Matthews asked Lucas, after he handed all of the tests out. "A guiding hand that has your best interest at heart." Lucas read. "Ms. Hart. I also noticed how you put the answer to the question. Please read?" Mr. Matthews asked. I looked down at my paper, and found the question. I read out loud my answer. "A choice made not by us, but. God. Who always knows what is best for us. Even if we don't know it is the best," I read. Mr. Matthews nodded.

Maya raised her hand. "Yes, Ms. Hart?" Mr. Matthews asked. "You failed me." Maya said. "Why don't we talk about this after class." Mr. Matthews suggested. "What's there to talk about? You failed me," Maya said, standing up, "You think I'm a failure. There's nothing more for you to teach me." She handed him her test. "Oh, come on! Both of you gotta say that? What, you mean I lost you both? I lost two out of three of ya?" Mr. Matthews asked. Maya glanced at Riley and I and began walking to the door.

"Maya! Cory shouted at her. Maya stopped and turned around. "You do not walk out of here!" Cory shouted. Maya and I made eye contact. I shook my head and mouthed "No" to her. "I'm sorry" Maya mouthed back to me. She took another quick glance at me, and then walked out. Riley and I raised our hands. "Go." He told us. Riley and I ran out of the door, and to Maya's locker, where we found her emptying? it out.

"Redecorating your locker?" Riley asked. "Nope. Cleaning it out." Maya said, holding up a creepy doll with no head. "You want one? 'Cause it's the last one you're gonna get." Maya said, holding up two cotton candy sticks. Riley and I nodded. Maya sticked the two cotton candy sticks in her locker, and circus music began to play. It stopped, and Maya handed Riley and I the cotton candy.

"Maya, it's just one 'F.'" Riley said. "Yeah. It was just one," I agreed. "It's not about the paper, Riley, Maya. Riley, your dad failed me." Maya said. "Yeah, I know. And I'm not going on the cyclone. I failed him." Riley said. I furrowed my eyebrows. "We'll talk about that later." I said, making hand gestures and then turned back to Maya, "Can't we just call it even?" -

"No. We can just call it I'm leaving." Maya said, walking to the stairs. I turned around and faced her. "Maya, I know you. You'll make a big deal about this, pretend to leave school forever, and you'll be back by gym class," I told her. "No, this time I mean it." Maya said. "All right, Maya. I'll see you tomorrow." Riley said.

"No. You won't." Maya told her. "You'll pick me up at 7:00, with Dylan." Riley said. "I won't be there." Maya said. And walked up the stairs. After that, I couldn't see her anymore.

"Riley. She's gone."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood by the front door of my family's house. I tapped my foot against the wooden floor boards. I was waiting for Maya. I knew she wasn't going to come to school today, but. I was gonna give it another try. I saw Maya walk down the hallways in her pj's. She noticed me and stopped.