Chapter 34 - Of days gone by

Under the Oak Tree

Under the Oak Tree

"Father sent me to the convent. The closeness to God, the prayers, and the sisters around me were supposed to heal my pain. But there are wounds that God cannot, or will not, heal. I have never felt so terribly lonely."

Robin was silent. All the while, she was telling. But his heart wasn't. "That's why you steal and give to the poor," he whispered against the red hair. His fingers stroked her mop of hair, rubbed the back of her neck, and held the crying girl tightly in his arms. To Robin, Marian smelled like... Rain. Not of thunderstorms or black clouds, not of wild wind or thunder. She smelled of those moments when a light shower passed over broad meadows of flowers. Of hope, wild winds, and the mixture of freshness and blossoms. It was calming - and he could use that right now as much as you could. That was another reason he breathed in the scent deeply and hugged her tighter.

"I swore to her," Marian murmured softly. Her voice tripped like a stream over heavy stones that had weighed her heart down for a long time. "Gillian died. For that wish, that ideal. And she was right: some of us have so much, others so little. Did you see how happy people were? That's why Gillian did it. That's why I'm doing it. And if the law doesn't allow us to help..."

"... Then we'll just break the law," Robin finished, loosening the embrace enough to take Marian's shoulders in her hands. "You are a very unusual, decidedly stubborn, and extraordinary woman, Marian De Burgh."

It was as if a wall shook inside Marian. Countless stones had piled up and were now clattering against each other. "Is that so?" The soft laughter that broke from her chest rumbled a little, but it still sounded a touch lighter. A drop of honey could sweeten bitter medicine, even if it were just a tiny bit.

"Yes, indeed. But you've always been exceptional," Robin said, finally managing to sound a tiny bit more cheerful about it again. He didn't want to see her cry. "What you're doing is against the law... but it's right. What Gillian did was right, and what we're doing is right." Robin brushed a strand of hair from her tear-streaked face.

"The Sheriff only sees the world in black and white, like his beloved law. White like the paper and black like the ink it's written with. But that's not the way the world is. Some understand that, and some don't." Gently, he wiped the last tears from her cheeks. "But I'm back now. I know I haven't been a good boyfriend. Not a presentable fiancé and probably not a good soldier." The smile now blurred uncertainly and only appeared dully on his lips. This admission to his enormous ego had to cost him a lot. "But I'm an outstanding longshoreman. And the sheriff's guards are all idiots. Let's see if we can't arrange for some 'redistribution of goods.'"

"You really are a blowhard, Hood." Marian couldn't help the smile infecting her. "I hope there's something behind all that boasting, too. I trust you to outdo that Will Scarlet, Robin." And Marian was not one to give away her trust lightly. "Now you can prove that you are the greatest thief in Sherwood."

At that, Robin let out a warm laugh and wiped some hair back into Marian's face in a teasing gesture. "I am without a doubt the best thief in Nottingham, you naughty thing," he said most indignantly, "I can handle a little contest like that, hands down. I've picked the best three men for the robbery. Even if Scarlett had any aces among his pawns - which I don't think he does - he wouldn't stand a chance against me. And even if his giant friend tries to play the spy on me or mess it up for me, he won't succeed. And do you know why? Because I'm too smart and way too good-looking to die like that." Robin winked at her and then withdrew his hands from her. "But now we should hurry back. We're already behind schedule." Robin's gaze slid up to where, behind the branches of the great oak, the sky was already changing to the violet-blue of night. "It's already getting dark."

🏹

'If anything's going to go down the drain, it's going to go right,' Marian thought in frustration. The failed raid and the dull ache of the fall still sat in her bones - but that wasn't enough. When they reached the clearing where they had hidden and tied their two steeds, they were nowhere to be found.

At first, they hoped the two had broken loose and run away for a while. Unfortunately, this prospect soon turned out to be futile, and they both had to admit that their horses had probably been stolen. With the gang of thieves here in Sherwood, neither should be surprised. Even though Marian told herself they were lucky they hadn't missed them after the robbery had escaped the guards, this thought failed to comfort her for long.

All optimism evaporated at the latest after they had walked the next hour. Then every muscle in her body complained, and her feet were covered with blisters within minutes. Marian could not deny it: she was a lady in disguise who was simply not used to such long distances or falls from trees.

The loss of her stallion also grieved Marian noticeably.

"Why does the horse mean so much to you?" asked Robin uncomprehendingly.

Marian sighed regretfully. "I saved Bayard from being sold to the butcher at a market some years ago. He was considered unsuitable for sale because he threw off his riders and bucked several times."

That made the thief chuckle. "No wonder you took a liking to him. You were practically kindred spirits."

He earned a sharp look for that and began to whistle innocently to himself.

Marian did not find this funny. The fiery stallion had a lot of temperament - but over the years, the horse and the new owner had developed a loving relationship. Yes, perhaps it was true, and they shared the trait of stubbornness. Marian was as stubborn as Bayard and had not given up. One day he rewarded her with his trust. Now she could only hope that Bayard would show the thief that he had not chosen easy prey but would not meet a bad end because of his ferocity.

She banished worry as best she could. First, she had to get back to the castle. And the quickest way was on horseback. "I don't think this is a good idea, Robin," Marian whispered as they huddled in the shade of a barn. Together they crept into the stable of the small homestead to steal a horse. Marian felt terrible about it, knowing well enough how important a horse was to the local farmers. She would sort it out. Soon. She firmly resolved to do so.

Little did she know that her words and actions had already borne fruit. For the thief Robin Hood, who never shared his loot, left some shimmering silver coins next to the empty gate.

 For the thief Robin Hood, who never shared his loot, left some shimmering silver coins next to the empty gate