1. Everything was wonderful

As soon as Joshua finishes the last page of Miss Sandra's SpellBook, he leaves the classroom. One month has passed since she gave him this unique gift for his birthday, and he was eager to share it with his fellows at the next meeting.

He, Hong Joshua, is the president of a secret society. He does cherish his position and the weight of the crown despite the fact that everything happened on short notice. And It's okay, though. He has at least ten people watching over and taking care of them. The mayhem they cause doesn't disturb him.

Only one thing keeps Joshua up at night. It's a perplexing romance in a messy situation, presently it's fascinating.

They want to keep it under wraps. Joshua and his lover both enjoy a date in the woods or in faraway lands through a magical transitional gate. And when they are alone together in a quiet room, Joshua always casually whispers his lover's name, like:

"Cheol ah..."

How funny it is.

If people knew who touched and kissed Joshua in the dead of night, they would be shocked.

It's Choi Seung Cheol, the golden son of a noble family. Not only is it a noble family, but it is the most powerful house in Carat Land. He had never imagined Seung Cheol becoming his lover voluntarily, not even in his wildest dreams. However, Joshua has always experienced extraordinary events since his birth. As a result, he became a wizard of a magical school.

Joshua was born into a typical wealthy Asian family. He thought he had everything when he was 15 years old. One day, the boy discovered that magic exists and shockingly, he was one of them. He left with nothing but his bare hands because not one person believed him. He then traveled to Carat Land, the source of all magic, and was admitted to the school by the headmaster's invitation.

***

Everything was wonderful. Though Joshua felt he was living his finest life, playing with magic and dating the hottest man among the students, problems came unexpectedly.

Every story has a bad guy. The magical world is no different. In fact, it can be worse than anything you can imagine.

This villain is known by a royal title: The Duke. People may have had this idea considering he was a Duke of a faraway land that vanished somewhere 1000 years ago during The Great War. Joshua had heard some rumors. But he doubted The Duke was a man.

"Could be a lady..." Joshua comments as he sits on the bed.

While Seung Cheol approaches on the opposite side, the youngster moves his head and places it on the white pillow next to him. As he caresses Joshua's hair, Seung Cheol's lips twist into a smile.

"Where did you get that idea?"

So, Seung Cheol doesn't seem to trust his lover instinct. Joshua understands completely and stays at ease.

"Have you seen The Duke?" says Joshua. "Has anyone actually met this man? Or is it just a regular bad guy story?"

Seung Cheol raises his brow.

"Are you sure you're serious?"

Absolutely. But Joshua knows why The Duke is never considered as a Lady. He might seem to be extremely powerful and there is no explanation for why he shows up. But rumors fly fast. Everyone now believes The Duke will come to slaughter any witches or warlocks who refuse to follow him. He also despises mixed and foreign blood. Only the origins can be merciful.

That's all they've known so far.

Despite the scary stories surrounding Carat Land, Seung Cheol's parents had the bravery to wander across their magical realm and other worlds. They've been gone for more than a month and rarely send photos or writes to Seung Cheol.

"Shouldn't you be worried about your parents? I heard there were conflicts in Grimblehawk and Bloomfield. People are dying..."

"They'll be fine." Seung Cheol let out a sigh. "They have Protectors and one of the strongest Guardian Creatures by their side."

While they both stare at the ceilings, clockwise slowly moves. The night seems to last a little longer as time passes.

Seung Cheol suddenly turns to glimpse Joshua's lovely face in the dim light. His eyes catch a hint of sadness.

"I only care about you. My love."

Joshua has his eyes wide open.

"Why?" He giggles. "I can take care of myself."

If there's one thing Joshua is certain about, it's his ability to fight and exist alone. He's not the type of person who would die after being abandoned in the woods. He would battle wolves and demons, cleanse all ghosts by himself if necessary. Surely, his secret society shares a strong bond, and they will fight alongside him for the greater good.

"I never doubt what you are capable of. But there's a dangerous man with great magic out there. Please keep in mind that he despises your blood. And I would rather kill myself than see you..."

He can't never say it out loud. As his lover gets closer, he purely takes a moment and looks.

Seung Cheol wraps his arms around Joshua's waist, reaches the top of his head and admires the familiar shampoo scent. Feeling his lover's presence is such a blessing.

Joshua is the one who refuses to believe that their lives have turned into a survival game in a deathly tale. It took him a long time to observe and accept the truth. No kids are allowed to remain outside after nine o'clock in the evening. No student is allowed to return home for Christmas unless their family is properly secured. Teachers push their students to practice more and tests cannot be cheated in any way. More Guardian Creatures are summoned. More Protectors arrive under the Queen's order.

As the vision in front of Joshua's eyes darkens, he fists his hands slowly and mumbles:

"I miss the good old days..."

Seung Cheol tenderly touches the boy's hair. He soon realizes that Joshua's voice has become imprinted in his mind.

"Everything was wonderful."

"Indeed."

It used to be.