Zephyr - These Words short chapter 2

“Zephyr Jane Clarisse Coleman ! Wake up, you’re gonna be late!” William shouted across her room.

Zephyr looked at her clock. 6: 30 am

“Sorry to answer back, but it’s just six-thirty. Class starts at eight-thirty. And, I thought we agreed that I need privacy. Do we have to talk this over with? Again? ” Zephyr spoke as she looked up at her brother.

“I don’t care and no. We don’t need another brother- to-sister talk again.” William replied impatiently. “Now get up.”

“Okay, okay, Mr. Grumpy pants.” Zephyr said in a low voice.

“What did you say?” William asked in a don’t-lie-to-me voice.

“Nothing.” Zephyr said in her most innocent voice. Please don’t ground me, please don’t ground me. She thought.

“Hmmm...I see...”

Zephyr smiled triumphantly. Her plan worked!

“Liar!”  William exclaimed.  “Grounded for a week!”

Zephyr smiled turned into a big frown.

“What?!” Zephyr exclaimed back.

“You heard me! Now get to work.”

“Fine.”

She slipped on her mother’s azure blouse and her usual jeans. She fixed her hair and slipped on some old sneakers. She checked her clock again. 7:15. Interesting, she thought.

“Zeph, your ride’s here!” William shouted from downstairs.

“Okay! I’m going down!!” Zephyr replied as she walked down the stairs.

“Be good out there, kiddo.” William said in a low voice.

“Of course I’ll be good. Wish me luck. I’ll make mom proud.” Zephyr whispered back as she walked down the door.

She got on the bus and saw Mr. Grumpy Pants.

“Good morning, Mr. Huggins!” Zephyr greeted him cheerfully. I hope that lightens the mood, she thought.

“Shut up and get in!” Mr. Huggins growled.

Seat...Seat....Find a seat....

Oooh... There’s a good spot, she thought.

She sat on an empty seat and the engine roared to life.

The bus stopped in a house. Not just any house, a chaotic house.

What a madhouse, she thought.

The guy, or she should say, this guy, obviously stopped to look for a seat. He looked... and looked... And his eyes fell on Zephyr’s seat. He was coming closer to her seat and Zephyr made him room. He sat down, just like that. He looked at her at one moment, and began to open his mouth to say something.