"Oh no, there's no way to tell what's going to happen." Ichinose's tone turned confident. "They'll probably be desperate, so we definitely can't let our guards down."

Sakayanagi blinked for a moment before allowing an amused smile to seep through.

"Huh? Did I say something odd?"

The violet-haired girl shook her head. "No, no. You just spoke like you're already at the top, ready to take on anyone who stands in your way. I can see the reasoning behind why you don't view class D as your equals. It is expected from someone who managed to keep their class's records clean for an entire year."

She tried to subtly provoke Ichinose into spilling some of what her class has planned, but Ichinose kept her footing.

"Class B came here with a strategy, and we're sticking to it. We won't lose easily, especially in an exam where out strengths are in full play."

"I see. That was quite rude of me, wasn't it? The exam is certainly as you say, Ichinose-san." Sakayanagi replied.

They continued their small talk (Ichinose tried arranging another hangout between the three of them again, but Sakayanagi turned her down. Suzune said sure--Ichinose was nice to talk to.) and just like that, five minutes had gone by.

The others began wondering whether or not class D's commander would make it in time.

Right after that train of thought, faint footsteps could be heard approaching through the echoey hallway.

"Looks like he'll make it in time, after all." Sakayanagi expressed her thoughts. "I guess he didn't lose his nerve or give up either."

When the last commander entered the room, Ichinose's jaw went slack seeing who it was.

"Ryuuen-kun?? Why... why are you here?"

Ryuuen on the other hand, simply smirked, his hands lazily shoved into his blazer pockets. "What's the matter? What's got you so worked up?"

Ichinose tried to force herself to stop trembling. "I see... I really hadn't expected this to happen. I had wrongly convinced myself that each class would take the safest option by using someone who had the protection point as their commander."

"The special exam can't happen without the commanders." Sakayanagi pointed out. "In other words, if it just so happens that the commander is absent, then someone else will naturally have to fill in for them. Isn't that right?"

"Even so, I never would have thought that you might show up, Ryuuen-kun." Ichinose voiced out.

"Obviously. Considering the type of person you are, Ihcinose, even if you broke out in hives or broke a rib, you'd be crawling here on your hands and knees to prevent your classmates from even a chance at getting expelled." Ryuuen responded, casual as ever.

"But even then, surely there must be some sort of penalty for you to participate as a substitute commander, right?" Ichinose inquired.

Ryuuen rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, Kaneda isn't allowed to participate in any events. It ain't that unreasonable."

Ichinose immediately picked up on his wording. "Did you do this to throw me off? Even if you did, isn't it disadvantageous for you that Kaneda-kun can't participate?"

Kaneda was one of the central figures in class D after Ryuuen laid low for a while. He must've been one for a reason.

Though, using simple wording to completely throw another commander of their game, considering how confident Ichinose was just a minute ago, is definitely a tactic Ryuuen would use.